And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

This message is forwarded to you as a service of Zapatistas Online.
Comments and volunteers are welcome.  Write [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:08:30 -0500
From: irlandesa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FBC HRC Update on Ocosingo Incident
Sender: irlandesa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: chiapas-l <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Originally published in Spanish by the Fray Bartolome de Las Casas Human
Rights Center
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
__________________________
Translated by irlandesa

Date:   Tuesday, February 9, 1999 18:52:37 -0600
From:   FBC Human Rights Center <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

ILLEGAL DETENTION AND INCOMMUNICADO STATUS OF TWO INDIGENOUS FROM LA
MENDOZA, MUNICIPALITY OF CHANAL, CHIAPAS

Yesterday, February 8, the Fray Bartolome de Las Casas Human Rights Center
received the denunciation concerning the detention of DANIEL GOMEZ VELAZCO
and JOSE ANGEL GOMEZ VELAZCO, both tzeltal indigenous.  The detention
occurred on February 6 at 10:30 AM at the military checkpoint at La
Peninsula, in the Municipality of Ocosingo.  According to the testimony of
the driver of the van in which they were travelling, the men were detained
by members of the Mexican National Army and Public Security Police forces
of the state of Chiapas.  In addition, evidence gathered by this Human
Rights Center indicates that the Gomez Velazcos were blindfolded, beaten
and their physical integrity assaulted.

On February 9, this Human Rights Center conducted an investigation through
various officials with the Delegate of the Office of the Attorney General
of the Republic (PGR) in Tuxtla Gutierrez;  with the State Attorney
General's Office;  with Juan Ignacio Cruz Padilla in the Public Ministry
Agency of the PGR in Ocosingo and with the Ocosingo Council, concerning the
whereabouts of the men, and we were not given any information on the
matter.  This Human Rights Center appeared before the Public Ministry
Agency in Ocosingo at approximately 4:30 PM on February 9, and the acting
Public Ministry Agent said that the Gomez Velazcos had effectively been
under their charge, but that "the time had run out and they didn't know the
whereabouts of the indigenous."

At approximately 7:55 PM on February 9, we received information concerning
the whereabouts of the Gomez Velazcos, who were in the Public Ministry
Agency cells in Ocosingo.

Up to this moment, we know nothing of the condition of the gentlemen.

The Human Rights Center expresses its opposition to these acts of illegal
detention and the incommunicado status by executive branch authorities.

Consequently, we demand of the relevant authorities:

1.   Investigation of the acts of illegal detention and the holding  of
DANIEL AND JOSE ANGEL GOMEZ VELAZCO incommunicado.
2.   Punishment of those responsible for these acts.

Human Rights Center Fray Bartolome de Las Casas
Francisco Leon 5
Barrio de Santa Lucia
San Cristobal de las Casas
Chiapas, C.P.  29250