And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] (S.I.S.I.S.) writes:

RADIO CHATTER HALTED AFTER POLICE FOUND BODIES
Canadian Press, February 9, 1999

[S.I.S.I.S. note:  The following mainstream news article may contain biased
or distorted information and may be missing pertinent facts and/or context.
It is provided for reference only.]

   TSUU T'INA RESERVE, Alta. (CP) - Radio communications stopped after an
RCMP tactical team discovered the bodies of Connie Jacobs and her
nine-year-old son Ty, a fatality inquiry heard Monday.

   Cpl. Tim Head testified that he did not want the father of Ty Jacobs or
Const. Dave Voller, who fired the lethal blast from his shotgun, to find
out about deaths on the radio. "I made the decision not to broadcast it
over the... radio. Const. (Dave) Voller had not seen young Ty standing
behind his mother. I didn't want him to know immediately," said Head, who
commanded the tactical unit that first entered the house after the shooting
last March 22 on the reserve, just southwest of Calgary. "I knew (Ty's
father Hardy Jacobs) was out there and I didn't want him knowing either."

   Voller had been called to the home after a social worker and tribal
police said Connie Jacobs, 37, threatened them with a rifle. The social
worker and tribal police went to the house to apprehend her four children
and two grandchildren after a family dispute.

   Voller, a 17-year RCMP veteran, has said Jacobs was on the porch with a
rifle. He has said he told her three times to put down the gun and returned
fire when she allegedly shot at him. The evidence so far is inconclusive as
to whether Jacobs fired the gun, a gunpowder residue expert testified last
week.

   The inquiry, headed by provincial court Judge Thomas Goodson, will try
to determine what happened on the reserve and how to prevent it from
happening again. He cannot lay blame.

   RCMP Const. Terry Scotland, testified Monday that Connie Jacobs had been
holding the rifle's forestock in her left hand, but her right hand wasn't
clenched around the trigger, he said. "It wasn't grasped very tightly,"
Scotland said. "It was easy enough to take out. In my opinion it didn't
disturb the position of the hand at all."

   Scotland was challenged by Hersh Wolch, the lawyer representing the
Assembly of First Nations at the inquiry. Wolch suggested removing the gun
makes it tougher to piece together what happened.

   But Head defended Scotland's decision. "Any firearm we come upon is
assumed loaded and dangerous to the team and must be removed," Head said.
"When the firearm is not in control, there is danger to anybody moving
around it."

   An RCMP inquiry has cleared Voller of wrongdoing and found no evidence
of racism.
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed
a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit
research and educational purposes only.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
    S.I.S.I.S.   Settlers In Support of Indigenous Sovereignty
        P.O. Box 8673, Victoria, "B.C." "Canada" V8X 3S2

        EMAIL : <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        WWW: http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/SISmain.html

    SOVERNET-L is a news-only listserv concerned with indigenous
    sovereigntist struggles around the world.  To subscribe, send
    "subscribe sovernet-l" in the body of an email message to
                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          For more information on sovernet-l, contact S.I.S.I.S.