And now:Buffalo Folks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

1. We know you've heard it before, but we really need you to come help the
buffalo!
2. Tripod sitters weather intense winds and storms
3. Take a moment- call the Governor and DOL and ask them some hard questions.

Greetings from the field....BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrr......

1. Hi everyone, it's Sarah again asking anyone with time to lend to come
out to help with the buffalo here.  We are at one of our lowest points as
far as numbers go and are reaching a critical point in the campaign.

 There are five buffalo at Red Canyon.  One of these has already been
captured and released as testing negative for brucellosis.  The DOL has
been out to look at them which is their usual practice before trying to
haze and capture the animals.

There are also buffalo coming dangerously close to the Duck Creek capture
facility.  Patrols in this area are kept around the clock.

And, of course, our blockade of the 610 Forest Service road continues and
requires a number of volunteers to be there 24 hours.  We are trying to
keep the volunteers rotated out for rest, but our dwindling numbers are
making this difficult.

No matter what, we will be here.  If you can be here too, please call me at
(406)646-0070 or answer this e-mail and let me know when you can come out.
The week of the 14th coming up is a time we especially need people. Hope
you can make it!

Buffalo Field Camp
P.O. Box 957   West Yellowstone, Mt. 59758
Phone (406)646-0070 Fax (406)646-0071
E-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Blockaders Enter Third Week in Tripods on Forest Service Road 610 to Stop
Construction of Buffalo Trap

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 9, 1999
Media Contacts: Sarah Chalmers, Sue Nackoney (406) 646-0070

WEST YELLOWSTONE, MT-   Two Buffalo Nations volunteers, Kelly Needs and
Brandon Bridges, continue into their third week of blockading the
construction of a new capture facility. Since Januray 25, they have been
sitting on platforms suspended 30 feet above the ground from lodgepole pine
tripods blocking the Forest Service Road leading to the site of a newly
permitted bison trap on Horse Butte. The trap, which has not yet been
constructed, will be similar to the trap at Duck Creek which has sent 15
buffalo to slaughter this winter.

On Friday, January 29, District Ranger David Garber signed a Decision
Notice allowing the DOL to operate a new buffalo capture facility on the
Gallatin National Forest according to their "long-term" plan over the next
10 years. The Permit to build the facility has not been signed by the
Department of Livestock. Forest Service representatives available today did
not know why the signing was delayed.  As of late January, the DOL stated
that they were planning to construct the trap before February 1, during
which time they had permission to operate by the terms of their
"short-term" plan. Currently DOL is conducting eagle surveys for a nesting
pair whose habitat is adjacent to one of the proposed capture facility
sites.

"Why is the DOL responsible for wildlife management? It makes no sense for
livestock agents to be monitoring the nesting patterns of eagles whose
presence might prohibit the construction of the capture facility. This is
the same twist of logic that allows the DOL, an agency in charge of
livestock, to have control over wildlife through current bison managment
policy. The DOL has no incentive to care for wildlife when cattle interests
are at stake," stated Sue Nackoney, Buffalo Nations spokesperson.

The road blockade progressed from two tripods (30 foot high structure made
of three lodgepole pine poles lashed together at the apex) to four tripods.
One 3 foot by 5 foot platform is suspended from the apex of one of the
tripods and the other platform is suspended from a pole balanced between
two of the other tripods. There are now a total of 15 poles in the
structure, one for each buffalo who has been killed by the DOL this year.

"We are here because we can not watch more buffalo face needless death at
the hands of the Department of Livestock. It is obvious that capture
facilities kill buffalo, and that few are released. Our blockade will
continue for as long as necessary, until buffalo are safe on Horse Butte,"
said Brandon Bridges, an 18 year old student from Kentucky.

The sitters have spent their days and nights living on platforms in the air
since the early morning of Monday, January 25. Temperatures have reached
thirty degrees below zero at times and there have been several major
snowstorms and huge windstorms. The 610 road is closed by drifting snow.

Law enforcement officers from the DOL, Forest Service, and Montana
Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks have visited the blockade, but they
haven't made any effort to remove it.

The state of Montana has requested up to $500,000 per year in federal
subsidies from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) for the operation
of the bison trap.

There are no cows on Horse Butte until June. All of these cows winter in
Idaho, and are currently vaccinated against brucellosis.  The summer
grazing on Horse Butte amounts to 172 cow/calf pairs present from June 15th
through October.  This grazing allotment brings in less than $800 to the
U.S. Treasury.

The facility will capture and test buffalo who migrate to the penninsula.
The agencies claim that the operation of the capture facility will help
with the "urgent need" to reduce bison mortality. However, in the winter of
1996-1997, the use of these facilities sent hundreds of buffalo to
slaughter.  All pregnant females, regardless of whether they test positive
for brucellosis, will be shipped to slaughter. All other buffalo testing
positive will be shipped to slaughter, including bulls and yearling calves,
which pose virtually no risk of brucellosis transmission.   Of the 15
buffalo slaughtered this winter, 13 have been bulls.

The test that the DOL uses to determine the fate of its captive bison is
highly unreliable. Buffalo are tested for seropositivity, a blood indicator
which only proves that the buffalo have been exposed to brucellosis, and
have developed antibodies against the disease. For example, a beef cow that
has been vaccinated against brucellosis will test seropositive for
brucellosis, although it can not transmit the disease. A seropositive test
result does not prove that a buffalo could transmit brucellosis. The
potential for transmission can only be determined by a tissue culture of
the reproductive tract.

        Video Footage Available upon Request. Scanned still photos
available from our website, www.wildrockies.org/buffalo

-END-

3.  Take the time to call Montana Governor, Marc Racicot at (406)444-3111
or 1-800-332-2272 and the Montana Department of Livestock at (406)444-2023
and ask them why Montana continues to slaughter our last herd of wild
buffalo.  Below are a few ideas for more questions to ask.

1. How many bison were killed yesterday/today/whatever day?
2. What was the sex and age of each animal killed? If calves were killed,
what was the sex of each calf?(remember 13 of 15 buffalo killled this year
were bulls who APHIS has repeatedly stated, cannot transmit brucellosis)
3. Were they tested for brucellosis before they were killed? If so, when
and by whom?
4. Who were the carcasses given to? What about the skulls? What about the
hides?

Buffalo Field Camp
PO Box 957
West Yellowstone, MT 59758