Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 20:29:50 -0800
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: "PRENSA NUEVO AMANECER" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Questions for Clinton/LJ Mexico

TRANSLATION BY LESLIE LOPEZ

*****************************

La Jornada, Saturday, February 13, 1999

Luis Gonzales Souza
Questions for Clinton

Mr. President Clinton:  almost two years have passed since your last visit
to Mexico.  On that occasion we were forward enough to write you, in these
very same pages, a couple of letters--which, as we had supposed, were
never answered.  Not even an indirect answer, because the true problems
between your country and ours continue to worsen.

I know that people like us are nobodies compared to you, but even so you
ought to take some interest in unofficial and unofficious visions of the
current state of affairs in the Mexico/US neighborhood.  And it was
precisely in those letters that we offered a critical and constructive
vision which, moreover, is shared by many citizens, including more than a
few belonging to the United States.

I'm not taking it too badly, but this time I'll keep it short, and it
won't be a letter, but a series of questions.  Perhaps you don't know that
Mexico still has a good reserve of dignity.  But it would be enough if you
could just take a good look (not a colonialist or pragmatic one) at the
zapatista insurgency.  That same dignity obliges us to write you a brief
note, in strict correspondence to the brevity of your visit: less than 24
hours, and far away, in the beautiful lands of the Yucatan.

Is your government seriously interested in improving the neighborhood you
share with Mexico?  Do you believe in dialectics enough to promote
improvements that bring nothing but damages?  I'll limit myself to two or
three examples.  Do you feel really proud of Operation Casablanca?  Do you
really not know, or do you just not give a "peanut" that said operation
was a bald-faced violation of Mexican sovereignty as an international
right as well as of the bilateral agreements to combat drug trafficking?
And you still want us to remain silent?  You still dare not only to deny
the extradition of your delinquent officials, but to demand it of those
who escaped your vandalizing operation?  Do you really think that will
improve the cooperation between our nations?

In regards to matters of migration, what happened to your beautiful
promises to promote a humanistic focus, as opposed to that of the
Republicans?  Isn't your repressive legislation in this area, namely the
Act of 1996, just an amplification of the 187 Initiative by the racist,
Pete Wilson?  What kind of humanism is that that we see reflected in your
death-oriented operations (Blockade, Guardian, Safeguard)?  Are you really
just seeking a silencing genocide against Mexican immigrants, whose crimes
amount to seeking out a little corner of this so-called global market?
How many murders of compatriots will be tolerated in the current

atmosphere of incendiary anti-yankee sentiment?  And that's improving our
neighborhood?

Up to what point are you going to promote or let develop anti-Mexican
sentiment in your paradise of freedom-tolerance-democracy?  Is Mexico your
enemy now?  who is more the enemy of whom?  What happened to the associate
status offered in NAFTA?  Indeed, why is the US violating this treaty, on
an Olympic scale, in the few areas in which Mexico seems to be most
competitive?  Isn't this formula just a little too dialectic: better
neighbors among those who are more confrontational and those who are more
aggrieved?

Dignity includes making good on one's promises.  We promised brevity and
we'll stop right here, even though we are awash in questions for you. But
you must be tired of interrogations (all Monica's fault).  And so, just as
being polite doesn't detract from one's bravery, the dignified know how to
conduct themselves with amiability.

Clarifying P.S.:  The offerings of the privatization of electricity and
the new anti-drug plan are not from the Mexican people, but from the
not-very-dignified group that governs us.

Self-critical P.S.:  The fact that our neighborhood is so atrophied is
ultimately our fault, located in the deficit of governmental dignity as
well as the combativeness of our citizenry.

Backsliding P.S:  Having accepted our own guilt, when are you going to
stop feeding off of the blood of the fallen and the downtrodden?  When
will you start practicing what you preach about freedom and democracy?

NUEVO AMANECER PRESS-N.A.P.To know about us visit:

http://www.nap.cuhm.mx/nap0.htm  (spanish)
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107,this material is distributed
without profit or
payment to those who have expressed a prior interest. This information is
for non-profit research and
education purpuses only. **We encourage you to reproduce this information
giving credit to NAP.**
General Director:Roger Maldonado-Mexico  Director Europe: Darrin Wood-Spain
Advisor and Special Correspondent:Guillermo Michel-Mexico.
NAP Coordinator:Susana Saravia