And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: "Robert Quiver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: TSNTC Press Release
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:32:56 PST

For further validation of the Missouri River Bill--which was later
rewritten into the Oct 1998 US Omnibus Appropriations Act Rider--
contact Mr. Shawn Perkins, former secrty of Phillip Underbaggage of the
Oglala Sioux Tribe. They have been following this issue since it was
introduced by the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe, The State of SD, and Sen.
Tom Daschle as the "SD Wildlife Habitat Mitigation Act".
The Missouri River bill was coined "The Janklow / Daschle Bill" by OST
officials who stood opposed to the bill, despite objections by CRST
president Greg Bourland, who initially supported the bill.

Bourland later objected to the bill but a little too late, for it had
gone into the 1998 Senate Omnibus Appropriations as a rider. This action
sounded reminiscent of the 1871 Senate Appropriations activities where
Treaties were no longer to be made with tribes, which is still a sore
spot for our Lakota people.

Im thinking...Why has this happened and where were the leadership when
this took place? What is meant by "Missouri River Bills" Is the attorney
insinuating that there are more bills on their way? The younger people,
meanwhile, wait until the elders tell them to make their movements
toward the Paha Sapa. (see <www.dickshovel.com/lsa3.html>)
-----------

>       Black Hills
>>      Teton Sioux Nation
>> For immediate release =96 February 11, 1999 =96 For immediate release
>505-341-4230
>> phone and fax, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> C/o Tony Black Feather, Spokesman, PO Box 48, Pine Ridge, SD 57770,
>> 605-867-5938
>> Since 1894, when the Teton Sioux Nation Treaty Council was founded by
>Chief
>> He Dog, our purpose has always been to uphold the treaties and to
prote=
>ct
>> our culture, our land, our water and our way of life.  It is our
duty,
>> then, to speak up when we see violations to our treaties and the
Natura=
>> Law of the Creator. This is the situation that has once again arisen
on
>our
>> territory with respect to this confusion surrounding the Missouri
River
>> bills. =20
>>=20
>> Under the Fort Laramie Treaty of 1868, our Lakota territory extends
>the
>> east bank of the Missouri River.  The Tetuwan Oyate rejected the
origin=
>al
>> action on the Pick Sloan Act in December 1944 as a violation of
treaty
>> rights.  More recently, our late chief, Garfield Grass Rope,
expressed
>the
>> same opposition in a letter to the Committee on Energy and Natural
>> Resources in the United States Congress on April 14, 1997.  "The
issues
>at
>> hand concerning the Missouri River discuss the allocation and
managemen=
>of
>> resources still covered by the Fort Laramie Treaty of 1868.
Therefore,
>> these issues must be governed, as set forth in the treaty, by a
>> three-fourths vote of the eligible Lakota treaty descendants on all
eig=
>ht
>> Lakota reservations.  Any other action is and will be a flagrant
>violation
>> of lawful United States treaty obligations."
>>=20
>> The Tetuwan Oyate stands on the treaties.  Under the laws of both the
>> United States and the Lakota Nation, treaties govern the relationship

>> between our two peoples.  When asked to comment on this Tony Black
>Feather,
>> the Spokesman for the Tetuwan Oyate (Teton Sioux Nation Treaty
Council)=
>,
>> stated: "The law governing treaties is international law.  We are
>protected
>> by it and are pursuing these violations on an international level; at
t=
>he
>> United Nations and the World Court of Justice."  In the past, the
Teton
>> Sioux Nation Treaty Council has taken the issues of the Missouri
River =
>> the United Nations.  At the XVth Session of the Working Group on
>Indigenous
>> Populations at the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, Ellen
Wright
>> delivered the following statement on behalf of the Teton Sioux Nation
>> Treaty Council.
>>=20
>> "The control of the very source of our lives is denied even though we
>have
>> legally binding international instruments setting forth the rights
give=
>> us by the creator.  The source of this abuse is that our treaties our
>> ignored.  Our way of life, which protects the water and the
environment=
>,
>is
>> preserved in the treaties, but the treaties are violated.  It was the
>> colonizer that asked for the treaties, yet they have steadily
violated
>them
>> in one form or another."
>>=20
>> The Teton Sioux Nation Treaty Council reminds our own people and the
>> government of the United States that action on treaty issues without
>> consideration of the treaty provisions is a violation of
international
>law.
>>  Tony Black Feather stated that domestic action on the Missouri River
i=
>> illegal.  "We support the tenets of the Draft Declaration on the
Rights
>of
>> the World's Indigenous Peoples now before the Commission on Human
Right=