End Racial Bigotry NOW
http://www.tdi.net/ishgooda/racial/rachome.htm

STORY BELOW:
Published:Wednesday, February 17, 1999

                  House defeats nickname resolution
http://www.northscape.com/news/docs/0217/277395D.htm
                  Bill urged UND to drop Fighting Sioux

                  By Ian Swanson

                  Herald Staff Writer

                  BISMARCK -- The House killed a resolution Tuesday
                  that would have urged UND to change its Fighting Sioux
                  nickname.

                  In a 71-26 vote, the House in effect decided to stay out
                  of the controversial nickname debate at UND.

                  Rep. Rod Froelich, D-Selfridge, who introduced the
                  resolution, was the only legislator who rose to speak
                  about the bill.

                  He told members of the House that the Sioux name
                  "belongs to the Native American people," and that those
                  people are neither mascots nor monikers.

                  He also took the unusual step of asking legislators to
                  write their own ethnic background on a piece of paper.

                  "Now, I ask you to write below that, the word 'sucks.'
                  Now, if you are still proud of it, hold it up for all the
                  world to see," Froelich said.

                  "Now you feel and see a little of what Native American
                  students experience when other teams use the term
                  "Sioux sucks."

                  Two Grand Forks legislators voted in favor of the
                  resolution's passage, Rep. Lonny Winrich, D-District 18,
                  and Rep. Roxanne Jensen, R-District 17, who said
                  Froelich's demonstration helped her make up her mind.

                  "If someone took my name and used it without my
                  permission, I'd be mad as hell," Jensen said.

                  The roll call vote produced a few surprises. Rep. Jack
                  Dalrymple, R-Casselton, who chairs the House
                  Appropriations Committee, voted in favor of the
                  resolution urging that UND change its nickname.

                  Rep. Ole Aarsvold, who is considered to be of the
                  chamber's more liberal members, voted against it.

                  Most legislators from both political parties said they
                  viewed the nickname as a local issue best left in UND's
                  hands.

                  Froelich said he heard from legislators who wanted to
                  support his resolution but didn't because they feared
                  losing political support.

                  He said he wasn't surprised with the results.

                  Froelich introduced the resolution at the request of
                  members of the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation. He
                  said he expected more action would be taken to change
                  the name.