And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
       www.sfgate.com        OVERCOMING BARS TO MOTHERING
Ex-convict Ida Robinson works to reunite prisoners and their children, if only for a few bittersweet hours
Chris Jenkins
Friday, February 19, 1999
©1999 San Francisco Chronicle

When Richmond resident Ida Robinson was released from the Federal Correctional Facility in Dublin in November 1995 after 10 years behind bars, she knew it would not be long before she returned.

Robinson was right. Less than a year later, on an overcast summer day in 1996, she went back to prison. But instead of being in the custody of armed guards as she was after her conviction in connection with an airplane hijacking, she led three buoyant and excited children inside the prison's walls.

The children -- fresh off a plane ride from Los Angeles with tickets that Robinson had sent, and rested after a night's stay at a local motel that Robinson had arranged -- were at the prison to visit with mothers they had not seen in more than five years.

The emotional afternoon that followed became the first of many visits between incarcerated mothers and their children facilitated by Families With a Future, an organization Robinson founded in April 1996, just months after being released from a halfway home.

``One of the most stigmatized groups of people in our country are women in prison,'' Robinson, 47, said. ``And not only are they stigmatized, their children are stigmatized and isolated from them.''

Later that year, Robinson arranged 15 more visits, including one for a Native American family of seven, led by an elderly grandmother.

They drove a 1970s Buick from Wyoming to participate in a reunion. Families With a Future not only paid for the hotel, gas, tolls and food, but it also helped repair the family's car when it broke down outside of the prison -- totalling more than $600.

But sometimes the trips Robinson arranges are shorter. On a Friday last fall, Jana, 15, a lanky ninth-grader from East Oakland, could not sit still the morning of her first visit with her mother in five years.

``She called me at least three times double-checking what she could and couldn't bring,'' Robinson said. ``She was so excited.''

Carrying a bag of school books, a sweatshirt and music tapes, Jana hugged her grandmother and Robinson goodbye before joining Alex Atley, a Families With a Future volunteer, in making a six-hour round trip to Valley State Prison for Women in Chowchilla.

The visit lasted half the travel time. But to Jana, even the simplest of conversations with her mother face to face was worth the long ride.

``We just caught up with what was going on with the family, with my schoolwork and how she was doing,'' Jana said.

She noted that her mother ``needed her hair done,'' and added: ``But I was still real sad. I didn't cry when I was leaving like I did last time I saw her. She cried.''

Robinson started Families With a Future0 with less than $100 in the bank and a tiny office in Berkeley, equipped only with a rotary phone, a gray desk and a few fold-up chairs.

Soon she began recruiting volunteers, often close friends, to drive to prisons when she could not. She raised money working the phone -- from $25 cash donations to a single $1,000 contribution. But even though her resources were modest, Robinson said that from the very start her vision was clear.

working the phone -- from $25 cash donations to a single $1,000 contribution. But even though her resources were modest, Robinson said that from the very start her vision was clear.

``I didn't know the first thing about business,'' Robinson said during a recent interview, her dreadlocks coiled neatly in an orange and green kente cloth wrap. ``What I did know is that this organization had to happen.''

After three years, Families With a Future, now with a San Francisco office, has completed more than 40 visits to federal and state prisons throughout California.

Robinson has developed a weekly support group at Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School in Berkeley for children of imprisoned parents. She helps teach a women's studies course at San Francisco State University on the conditions of women in prison. She coordinates a program in the San Francisco county jails that assists incarcerated mothers in locating their children.

`A SPIRIT OF HOPE'

``What Ida's work has done is help solve some of the biggest barriers facing mothers who are in prison,'' said Ellen Barry, founder and director of Legal Services for Prisoners With Children, an advocacy group in San Francisco.

As the population of women prisoners in California rises, Robinson's work takes on an added significance.

According to the California Department of Corrections' statistics, the state's female prison population has grown 864 percent since 1980 to 11,575. A report released by the National Council on Crime and Delinquency, a prison advocacy group based in San Francisco, estimates that almost 80 percent of those women reported having an average of two dependent children.

The group's study also found that more than half of these children had never visited their mothers during incarceration.

``This is an area that is largely neglected -- the children of incarcerated mothers,'' Robinson says. ``I think when you open up this whole issue you're also saying something else. What are we doing to our society? Who's paying the cost of all this? Children are being negated from the experience of having their parents, wherever they are.''

MAINTAINING A BOND

Robinson admitted that visits are often bittersweet, because they sometimes open up a lot of wounds in the children. But some children who visited their mothers sometimes only once a year said it was important for both mother and child to keep a physical bond even though the encounters are often filled with mixed emotions.

``It's great to see your mom, especially when it's been a while,'' says Sarah, 16, a 10th-grader from Sacramento, whose mother spent three years at Dublin. ``But then you get really sad because you don't really want to tell her the whole truth of what's going on in your life because you don't want her to worry, since there's nothing that she can do about it.''

Some of the visits Robinson arranges will be the only opportunities for many mothers to see their children. In the fall of 1996, Families With a Future sent three plane tickets to an inmate's two sons and mother so that they could travel from New Orleans to California. The family flew to Los Angeles, where they joined two more family members and drove up the coast to visit with a mother who is facing a life sentence at Dublin.

``The hardest visits are the ones for the lifers,'' Robinson said. Sometimes the help Families With a Future provides goes beyond arranging physical contact. At Dublin, between 35 and 40 percent of the inmates are from other countries, according to Legal Services for Prisoners With Children. Much of Robinson's efforts also center on the children. Once a week she meets with a group of Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School students who all have a parent in prison.

GIVING KIDS A VOICE

``It's important to give children a way to speak about their parent's condition in a nonthreatening place,'' Robinson said. ``I think it's healthy for them to speak about it. We owe them some space.''

With that in mind, in the fall of 1996, she approached Jan Sells, a school counselor and psychotherapist at King who runs the School- Community Partnership for Mental Health Program. Robinson started by meeting the children individually, periodically working with them in a group setting.

``Ida really has helped the kids get in touch with their feelings and open them up to their expressing the actual pain that they feel,'' she said. ``She tries to take the negative and turn it into a positive. Sometimes it is very difficult for the kids to come to terms with the stigma of having mother in prison.''

Robinson encourages the kids to write letters to their parents, even if they won't be sent, as a way of expressing their emotions. Many of the children, according to Sells, have constructed stories that they share with the outside world about their parents' whereabouts, rarely admitting the unpleasant truth.

Shauneka, 11, an initially quiet King fifth-grader who says she wants to play in the WNBA as an adult, has been attending one-on-one sessions with Robinson for more than a year. She said their discussions at first helped her express feelings of embarrassment that her mother was incarcerated.

``I didn't know what to say to my friends when they would ask me about my mom,'' she recalled. ``I felt like, `What am I going to do, tell that that my mom's in prison for drugs?' So I just used to lie about it and say she was away on vacation, or away at school. Ida always used to tell me it was going to be hard for awhile, but I should stand up for myself.''

Now that her mother is out of prison, Shauneka says that she still goes to the sessions with Robinson because they now talk about the sometimes difficult adjustment that Shauneka faced when her mother returned home.

``I feel like she's a different person sometimes,'' she said. ``I didn't feel comfortable around her.''

BRANCHING OUT

Robinson hopes to replicate her King project in two other schools, as well as start a nationwide center with other Bay Area activists that trains child advocates to work children of incarcerated parents.

``When I started doing this I was totally overwhelmed with the amount of children who needed advocacy and counseling about the criminal justice system as it pertains to their family,'' Robinson said.

To Robinson, this is more than just meeting with kids and taking them to see their mothers. ``They become part of your life,'' she said. ``Once we've opened up to each other, here's no turning back.''

ROBINSON'S JOURNEY FROM HIJACKER TO HELPER

For Ida Robinson, reuniting and nurturing families is part of her long-standing belief in social justice. She came of age in the Hunters Point section of San Francisco during the 1960s, a time when she says many young people believed that revolutionary social change was a heartbeat away.

Associated with the Revolutionary Nationalist Army, a group that derived much of its platform from the Black Panthers, Robinson, then 21, was involved in hijacking a plane bound for Los Angeles on Jan. 7, 1972, with an RNA member. Although she says she was unaware that her partner was planning the hijacking, she admits to her participation.

According to newspaper archives, she and her partner hijacked a Pacific Southwest Airline midnight shuttle and dropped off the 138 passengers in Los Angeles. The plane then flew to Tampa, Fla., and to Havana, where Robinson lived for four years before returning to the United States.

After living on the run for 10 years, Robinson said she sent three of her five children to San Francisco to live with her mother, experiencing the pain of separation and guilt firsthand. ``My daughter says she has no memories of me before the age of 6 or 7,'' says Robinson. ``Knowing that couldn't make me want to (work with the children of incarcerated parents) even more.''

Ultimately, her concern for her family led to Robinson's capture. Worried about her mother, who was having trouble raising her teenage son, Robinson returned to Northern California and took him in. The strained relationship did not last long between the two. After an argument over chores, he called the police, telling them his mother's location. Within minutes, scores of officers descended upon their home.

In 1986, was Robinson was sentenced to 20 years in jail. She spent 10 years at Dublin before being paroled and remains estranged from her son.

When Robinson was imprisoned she began to plant the seeds for her later work, advocating for her own children.

WHERE TO CALL

Ida Robinson and Families With a Future can be reached at (415) 255-7036, ext. 320.

©1999 San Francisco Chronicle  Page 1