And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Buffalo Field Campaign
(formerly Buffalo Nations)
P.O. Box 957   West Yellowstone, MT 59758
Phone (406)646-0070 Fax (406)646-0071
E-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]

February 18, 1999
In this update:
1. A notice to all of our supporters
2. Tripod Sitters occupy blockade to prevent new buffalo trap for over a
month!
3. A sacred walk for the buffalo
4. You can help the buffalo! New legislation in the state of Montana to
protect buffalo...
1. Dear Buffalo Supporter,

        Over the past year our group here in West Yellowstone has undergone
some remarkable changes. We have grown from our start in 1997 as a few
volunteers living in a small office in Gardiner to today's busy cabin in
West Yellowstone filled with volunteers from around the world.
        We tabled in Yellowstone park last summer and traveled throughout
the Northwest this fall with slideshows and video presentations. Our work
has established itself in the public eye through direct action, outreach,
and media coverage. We continue our commitment to maintaining our front
lines presence, everyday, to stop the indiscriminate slaughter of the
Yellowstone buffalo and to gain protection for these buffalo on their
critical winter habitat. This year over 150 volunteers have come to defend
the buffalo, and the winter is barely halfway over. Through our daily
patrols and video documentation of every move made against the buffalo we
have established hard-won credibility in our local community.

        In keeping with important growth in our group, we have decided that
our field camp in West Yellowstone will be known as the Buffalo Field
Campaign rather than Buffalo Nations.  The new name reflects our work in
the field that is at the core of our organization.
The Buffalo Field Campaign will work under the fiscal sponsorship of Cold
Mountain, Cold Rivers, a non-profit environmental and human rights group.

        You will notice that not much has changed here in regards to our
work- we still will continue our front lines presence and will use the same
mailing address, e-mail address, website, and office. We hope that our work
in the field will speak for  itself. Thank you for your continuing support
for the Yellowstone buffalo, and for our work to protect them. Please feel
free to contact us with any questions or for information.
*****************************

2.  Tripod Sitters occupy blockade to prevent new buffalo trap for over a
month!

        As dawn broke over snow-covered trees and distant mountains on
January 25, two tripods blockaded a Forest Service road accessing the site
of a new buffalo trap at Horse Butte, near West Yellowstone Montana. For
more than a month, sitters have occupied two platforms suspended from the
structures, weathering blizzards, gale-force winds, and temperatures
dipping below negative 30 degrees. In the past few weeks, three additional
tripods, interlocked with cross-beams, have appeared.  There are now a
total of 15 poles in the tripods, one for each buffalo killed this winter
by the Montana Department of Livestock (DOL).

        In statements to the press, DOL executive officer Marc Bridges said
the trap, which would capture buffalo on their prime winter range, would be
operational by February 1. Thanks to the blockade and sitters, who vow to
stay up until plans for the pens are scrapped, the livestock agency hasn't
been able to access the building site or transport the trap.
        According to Kelly Needs, who has occupied one of the platforms
since the action began,  "We are here because the killing is not acceptable
and I want people to be aware of what is going on out here.  I am willing
to offer my voice as the voice of the buffalo and my body as a protest to
their continued slaughter.".
        In addition to buffalo, Horse Butte provides habitat for bald
eagles, grizzly bears, lynx, black-backed woodpeckers, boreal owls,
trumpeter swans, wolverines, elk, moose, red fox, goshawk, peregrine
falcon, large-leafed balsamroot and white paintbrush.  The Chief Joseph
wolf pack has been spotted on the Butte. The DOL has asked the US
Department of Agriculture to fund the costs of installing and operating the
buffalo trap with taxpayers footing the bill of $500,000 a year for the
next 10 years. All of this is justified in order to protect 170 cow-calf
pairs that graze on 3 public allotments on Horse Butte and generate a mere
$765 a year in grazing fees.
        The facility will capture and test buffalo migrating to the
peninsula for the disease brucellosis. All pregnant females, regardless of
whether they test positive for brucellosis, will be slaughtered. All other
buffalo testing positive will be slaughtered as well, including bulls and
yearling calves, which pose virtually no risk of brucellosis transmission.
Of the 15 buffalo slaughtered this winter, 13 have been bulls. Livestock
interests irrationally fear that buffalo will spread the disease to cattle
despite the fact that there has never been a documented case of
transmission from wild buffalo to livestock.  The agencies claim that the
operation of the capture facility will help with the "urgent need" to
reduce bison mortality. However, in the winter of 1996-1997, the use of
these facilities sent hundreds of buffalo to slaughter.
        The field test that the DOL uses to determine the fate of its
captive bison is highly unreliable.  Of the first 8 buffalo sent to
slaughter this year-- all of which field-tested positive for
brucellosis--only 2 showed positive to the more accurate tissue test
conducted at the slaughterhouse.
        The Forest Service has signed a special-use permit, granting a
categorical exclusion for a nearby bald-eagle nest, giving the Department
of Livestock authorization to construct and operate the capture facility.
The DOL, however, has not signed the permit, fearing language it contains
placing liability for events "outside the scope of constructing and
operating the facility,"--like having to arrest activists and take down the
tripods--on the shoulders of the DOL.
        In a blaring conflict of interest, DOL agents, trained to inspect
cattle, have been conducting the required bald-eagle surveys.  Livestock
agents are monitoring the nesting patterns of eagles whose presence might

prohibit construction of the facility.  This is the same twist of logic
that allows the DOL to control wildlife through the existing bison
management policy. One of the DOL surveyors, observing an eagle, was
overheardheard saying, "I think that's a male.  I heard males are smaller
than females."
        On the first day of the action a pregnant buffalo walked up and
stood within ten feet of the blockade, as if to give thanks for the action.
The Forest Service law enforcement officers (LEOs) who showed up the next
day weren't as thankful.  They videotaped the tripods and told ground
supporters that the area is day use only and that overnight camping is
prohibited.  The activists pointed out that because they weren't sleeping
at the blockade, they weren't violating day-use regulations. LEOs from the
DOL, Fish, Wildlife and Parks, the county sheriff, and the Forest Service
have repeatedly visited the blockade, documenting the structures with still
and video cameras and asking questions.  To date, no attempt has been made
to remove the structures.
        "We will be here to stand with these buffalo until they are free to
live on their winter habitat without being chased, captured, or killed.
Until this happens, many of us feel in our hearts that non-violent direct
action is the only way to stop this senseless tragedy," said Michael
Bowersox, Buffalo Field Campaign spokesperson.

**************************
4.  On the legislative front....
Greetings! Fellow Montanans and Tribal Friends who have traditional rights
in Yellowstone,

Good news today!

Our bill on buffalo management was introduced into the Montana State House.
It was referred to the Agriculture committee. We don't have a date on the
hearing yet, but I suspect that it might be next week. I'll let everyone
know as soon as possible. You can view the bill, house Bill 643 at

http://161.7.127.14/bills/billhtml/HB0643.htm

<FYI... All the Montana legislative info is at www.mt.gov>

If you could please take a moment to look over the Legislation regarding
the buffalo and make your opinions heard, it would be most appreciated.

The bill has four main points:

1) Transfer primary management of buffalo from the Montana Deparment of
Livestock to the Montana Department of Fish Wildlife and Parks; (putting
biologists not cattle folks in charge of wildlife)

2) Mandate that Montana follow APHIS' definition of low-risk buffalo, and
honor the 30-60 grace period on public lands; (Federal regulations have
deemed it unnecessary to kill bulls, claves and non-pregnant females who
cannot even transmit the disease)

3) Prevent the state from selling, and/or profiting from, the sale of live
or slaughtered buffalo; (In 1997, the slaughter of almost 1200 buffalo
brought the State of Montana's Dept of Livestock coffers a profit of almost
200 grand!)

4) Directs the MT FWP to conduct a study of the carrying capacity for
buffalo on public lands surrounding the Park, and to develop a management
plan--in  conjunction with tribal interests--to manage the herd for that
population. (transferring buffalo to tribal interests makes alot more sense
than wanton slaughter)

While there may have been more that we could do, we attempted to keep the
bill as simple and straightforward as possible, in order to improve our
chances of getting the bill through committee and onto the floor of the
House.

Please contact the members of the House Agriculture committee to urge their
support of HB 643 and establish some sound buffalo management guidelines.
(Every fax, letter, call or email can help make a difference!)

Members of the House Ag Committee:

Joe Barnett; Chair; Belgrade, (R)
John L Holden; Vice Chair; Valier; (R)
Paul Clark; Member; Trout Creek; (D)
Rick Dale; Member; WhiteHall; (R)
Bill Eggers; Member; Crow Agency; (D)
Kathleen Galvin-Halcro; Member; Great Falls (D)
Mary Anne Guggenheim; Member; Helena; (D)
Donald L Hedges;  Member; Antelope; (R)
Verdell Jackson; Member; Kalispell; (R)
Rick Jore; Member; Ronan; (R)
Monica Lindeen; Member; Huntley; (D)
Gay Ann Masolo; Member; Townsend; (R)
Sam Rose; Member; Choteau; (R)
Brennan Ryan; Member; Stockett; (D)
Frank Smith;  Member; Poplar; (D)
Bob Story; Member; Park City; (R)
Bill Thomas; Member; Hobson; (R)
Ralph Lenhart; Vice Chair; Glendive; (D)
Cliff Trexler; Member; Hamilton; (R)
Darrel Adams; Member; Columbia Falls; (R)

Joyce Bankhead; Secretary
Todd Everts; Legislative Branch Staffer

To CONTACT:

By phone: Call 406-444-4800 and you can leave a message for up to two
legislators.  Be sure to keep your message concise and refer specifically
to HB 643.
Fax: 1-900-225-1600; Address it to the Representative

By e-mail: E-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED], be sure to put the Senator's name in
the subject line.

By mail: Send letters of support to Representative ________, Capitol Station,
Helena, MT 59620.

3.  Group marches to protect America's bison

Wednesday, February 17, 1999

By Indian Country Today, Rapid City, S.D.
Copyright 1999, Indian Country Today, Rapid City, S.D.
Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News, All Rights Reserved

Elders, men, women and children braved the elements as they
began a 507-mile trek from Rapid City, S.D., to Yellowstone
National Park in Montana.

They hope to end senseless slaughter of the last wild buffalo
herd.

A ceremonial bundle and several traditional staffs adorned
with bear hide, leather and eagle feathers, were carried at
the front of a line of walkers and riders who began a
three-week journey to the last largest wildlife refuge in the
world. People from across the country and Canada joined the
spiritual walk, "Tatanka Oyate Mani -- They walk for the
Buffalo People" Feb. 7 to seek protection for the buffalo
herd and to educate those who are ignorant about buffalo.

Five Hunkpapa from the Standing Rock reservation, four
students with their supervisor, Faith Taken Alive,
participated in the walk. One student, Tonie Eagle Shield,
17, from Bear Soldier District, said thought it would be a
good experience. "The buffalo, to me, is really sacred,
they're sacred to our people."

Eagle Shield plans to use the knowledge she gains from the
walk and to teach it to her children and grandchildren.
Joseph Chasing Horse, Sicangu Lakota, said the purpose of the

walk is to create utmost awareness of the last "free" roaming
buffalo through traditional and spiritual teachings combined
with star knowledge and earth science. He said the walk also
represents the Lakota ancestors. "This is nothing new. Our
ancestors have done this for thousands of years.

"We're reawakening that spirit for our young people to
remember by. We're creating something in our time that our
children and grandchildren can remember and be linked to our
culture and the way it once was. This spiritual walk, which
will begin a year of ceremonies of the Redman's atonement --
to enter into the next millennium -- atonement for jealousy,
alcohol, drugs and all of those things that have led us away
from the ways of our ancestors.

"Our ancestors migrated with the great buffalo herd.
Together, they circled the Black Hills, going to each sacred
site.
"Knowledge will be passed on through traditional oral
instruction regarding ceremonies, stories, singing, dancing
and walking through these ancient culturally related
geographical areas of which we are so much a part through our
culture and the migratory journeys of the buffalo people.

"According to the 1851 treaty, Yellowstone is the western
boundary of our hunting ceremonial grounds. Today there are
less than a thousand buffalo left at Yellowstone."

Nearly 1,069 buffalo were slaughtered in 1996 because it was
thought they were carriers of brucellosis, a disease that can
cause cows to abort. Shooting the animals was authorized by
the Montana Department of Livestock. To date, brucellosis has
not been scientifically proven to be transmitted to cattle by
buffalo, according to Rosalie Little Thunder, Sicangu Lakota.
Little Thunder was one of many arrested in 1996 for
protesting the slaughter. She said she watched, with tears in
her eyes and a prayer on her lips, as men with high-powered
rifles shot the buffalo.

For her, this walk represents the importance of ending the
senseless killings and educating young and old of the buffalo
nation's significance in the world.

Chasing Horse also expressed grave concerns, saying the
slaughter depletes the herd and one day it could result in
extinction.
"The buffalo helped us once -- that's why the Indian people
are still here. They say long ago we almost starved, but the
buffalo came and gave of himself so our people lived.

"Now we have to do the same for him, the buffalo, because now
his future and his life is at stake. We're only returning a
favor that the buffalo people gave to us back in the
beginning of time.

"The buffalo are not only important to the Indigenous
cultures. Scientifically, if you look at it, we have all the
evidence that the buffalo are important to the natural
eco-system. They play an important role in the natural cycle
of the world. Without them, the whole world is going to be
unbalanced.

"Maybe we won't see that for a course of several generations,
but surely our children are going to pay the consequences for
that. "

"It's historical fact, evidence of the past, that the U.S.
government slaughtered millions of buffalo to subjugate
Indian people. Ours is not to dwell on injustices of the

past, but to build a future for our people and our children.
That's our focus."
Twenty-two riders from Montana joined the group at the South
Dakota-Montana state line. Others will join the walk as it
proceeds to its destination.

"There will be many of us when we get to Yellowstone. People
from Walla Walla, Wash., have started and will meet us there.
People from the Nez Perce in Idaho are also walking and
riding. They too, will join us," Chasing Horse said. "People
from all across the country will be joining the walk. This is
good."

The entourage will complete the walk Feb. 27 at Yellowstone
National Park. Gary Silk, Hunkpapa Lakota, the outfield
cultural coordinator, is scheduling a cross-cultural workshop
with park service employees.

Buffalo Field Campaign
(formerly Buffalo Nations)
PO Box 957
West Yellowstone, MT 59758
406-646-0070 phone
406-646-0071 fax
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.wildrockies.org/buffalo
Our web pages are full of great info; please share the URL with friends and
others who care....

http://www.wildrockies.org/buffalo
we have posted a video clip of last years haze and the DOL's violation of
Bald Eagle habitat at our web site.  Please stop by and see it!

If this has been passed on to you via a friend or a list, please subscribe to

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
to receive the most current news from the field as well as other pertinent
Yellowstone buffalo info (3-4 updates per month)!

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/buffalo-rescue