And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

via: sovernet-l <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[No mention of Meadow Lake Tribal Council's (abandoned) attempt to
negotiate a deal with AECL to bury high-level waste on Cree and Dene land
in Saskatchewan. - jk.]


From: "Hicks, Jack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jamie Kneen (E-mail)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: jerks...
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 08:22:43 -0500


Ottawa talked to natives about taking nuclear waste:
Government met with Indian leaders in bid to find long-term storage site


ANNE McILROY and ERIN ANDERSSEN
Parliamentary Bureau
The Globe and Mail
March 9, 1999

Ottawa -- The federal government has approached the Assembly of First
Nations to discuss how to get remote northern native bands to accept the
country's nuclear waste for long-term disposal, native sources say.
Government officials, mostly from the Department of Natural Resources, met
with Indian leaders in November in Ottawa to discuss burying nuclear waste
in the Canadian Shield.

But the sources say they also asked for advice on how to start consultations
with native communities that might be persuaded to allow the highly
radioactive waste in their area.

AFN national chief Phil Fontaine confirmed yesterday that there had been at
least one meeting, which he didn't attend but which he was briefed on.
"The carrot here of course is money," Mr. Fontaine said. "People figure that
first nations would be an easier sell. It's an insult."

Mr. Fontaine's comments add fuel to a growing debate over whether the
federal government is fast-tracking plans to bury highly radioactive waste
deep in the Canadian Shield.

Yesterday, Natural Resources Minister Ralph Goodale insisted the government
is still considering other options.

David MacInnis, a senior aide to Mr. Goodale, said there have been
discussions with AFN officials. But he said the meetings were at the
natives' request, adding that they were seeking assurances that they would
not be excluded from the decision-making process on where the waste may be
buried.

Mr. Fontaine, however, said it was his understanding that the government had
approached the AFN.

He also said he doesn't believe native communities will take the waste.
"There's no amount of money that would ever be acceptable. We would
discourage our people from participating."

Last year, an environmental review panel expressed serious reservations
about burying nuclear waste deep in the Canadian Shield.

The panel noted that aboriginal people would be most affected, since most
potential sites are on their land, and it urged the government to consult
natives.

The panel concluded that while burying the waste appeared technically safe
as a concept, it didn't have broad social appeal. It laid out a detailed
process by which the government should proceed.

The government's response in December left many antinuclear groups and
opposition MPs believing it is planning to move quickly and bury the waste.
Ottawa rejected the panel's recommendation that it set up a new Crown
corporation to handle waste disposal, deciding instead that the three
utilities that own nuclear waste should establish and finance the new
agency. It also rejected the three-year delay the committee recommended for

looking for alternative ways of handling the waste. In addition, it rejected
the process the committee recommended for choosing and evaluating a site for
the waste.

A government document, stamped secret, estimates it will cost $11-billion to
dispose of the waste over 100 years. This means there will a huge cash
infusion and new jobs in whatever area accepts the disposal.

Mr. Fontaine said poor native communities in Canada's North could be pressed
to take the waste to get the money. He said the AFN won't even help the
government "design a process" to pitch the idea to native communities.
Although government officials said they weren't trying to sell the idea,
native sources said the discussions focused on the best way to approach
prospective communities and played down the risks of accepting nuclear
waste. The government officials, sources said, also asked the AFN to keep
the meeting quiet.

Government officials cancelled a second meeting planned for early this year
with an environmental committee of the native organization at the last
minute without giving a reason.

Antinuclear activists also fear that impoverished communities would be
enticed by jobs and cash even though they fear nuclear waste storage isn't
safe.

"Natural Resources Canada is giving a clear message that they're ready to
unleash the nuclear industry in search of some community that can be lured
into looking at proposals for a nuclear waste repository nearby," said
Brennain Lloyd, a spokesperson for Northwatch, a citizens coalition in
Northeastern Ontario. "We want to give a clear message back that we are
working with people throughout the Canadian Shield to put communities on
alert that the nuclear salesman may be on their doorstep."

Rick Laliberte, MP for Churchill River, Sask., agreed. Mr. Laliberte, a
M�tis, said many small communities may be tempted.

"Most northern Canadian communities are economically deprived. So if you
bring in an economic solution to their community, this is a dangerous
formula to be playing around with."

But Mr. Goodale said the government is not fast-tracking the waste-disposal
plan and is considering other options.

"Clearly, we say that there are a variety of options that need to be
examined," he said. "Deep disposal was one idea, brought forward by one
stakeholder."

NATIVE OBJECTIONS

The experience of the Dene of Deline is one good reason Assembly of First
Nations National Chief Phil Fontaine believes no native communities will
take the country's nuclear waste.

For years, the Dene lugged uranium ore on their backs from a
government-owned mine on the shores of Great Bear Lake. No one told them the
"money rock" was dangerous. No one said it would be used to build the
nuclear bombs that were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Radioactive radium and uranium were discovered at Great Bear Lake in the
early 1930s, across from where the Dene now live. The mine was privately run
until Ottawa took over when uranium became crucial to the war effort.
Eldorado Mining and Refining, a Crown corporation, ran the Port Radium mine
until it closed in the 1960s. Non-natives worked the mine and Dene men were

ore carriers. They loaded 45-kilogram sacks onto boats, portaging on the
journey down Great Bear River to the Mackenzie River and south.

The ore carriers were called "cookies" and were often covered in dust from
uranium ore and radium, a radioactive byproduct of uranium ore. It got into
clothes, hair, mouths and hands. They brought their wives with them.

Many of the men died from cancer, and Deline is now known as the village of
widows. The Dene of Deline are worried their water and food have been
contaminated and are seeking compensation.

The AFN was first approached with the idea of burying nuclear waste in the
early 1990s and decided against it because of health risks and opposition
from community residents. Staff

THE PROBLEM

About 1.3 million used Candu fuel bundles are stored at Canadian
nuclear-reactor sites. That's enough to fill three hockey rinks to the top
of the boards.

There are 22 reactors in Canada, most owned by Ontario Hydro, although
Hydro-Qu�bec and New Brunswick Power each have one. That means Ontario Hydro
has 90 per cent of the liability.

The federal government estimates it will cost $11-billion to dispose of the
nuclear waste over 70 to 100 years.

Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd. spent 20 years and $700-million to develop the
concept of disposing of nuclear waste deep in the stable rock of the
Canadian Shield.

The waste would be put into containers and buried about 500 to 1,000 metres
below the surface.

The long-term safety would not depend on continuing care and attention,
although future generations could decide whether it needed monitoring.
______________________________________________________________________
EAST TIMOR ON THE NET
For the latest updates, news and views on East Timor and Indonesia visit

http://www.easttimor.com
maintained by the East Timor International Support Centre
Hon. Chairman: Jose Ramos-Horta, Nobel Peace Laureate 1996

           &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
          Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
                     Unenh onhwa' Awayaton
                  http://www.tdi.net/ishgooda/       
           &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
                             

Reply via email to