And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] (S.I.S.I.S.) writes:

OTTAWA WON'T WAIT FOR BC ON TREATY
The Globe and Mail, March 8, 1999 by Paul Willcocks

[S.I.S.I.S. note:  The following mainstream news article may contain biased
or distorted information and may be missing pertinent facts and/or context.
It is provided for reference only.]

Victoria - Ottawa has decided to push ahead with introduction of the
controversial Nisga'a treaty in Parliament in the next few weeks without
waiting for it to be approved by the B.C. government, which has been
paralyzed by a series of setbacks. B.C. Aboriginal Affairs Minister Gordon
Wilson said yesterday he has discussed a change in plans for the Nisga'a
treaty with his federal counterpart, Jane Stewart. "My understanding is
that they are going to bring it in in mid-March," he said in an interview.
"They understand we have had difficulties here."

The treaty was to have been a showcase accomplishment for the New
Democratic Party government. However, the government's plans have been
sidetracked by several controversies, culminating in the RCMP raid last
week on Premier Glen Clark's home. Cabinet ministers and government MLAs
have been avoiding the press over the past week, leaving the public facing
the extraordinary scene of the Premier, who normally loves the spotlight,
speaking only through his high-priced criminal lawyer.

Losing control of the political agenda, the government has seen many of its
plans either collapse or run into delays.

The Nisga'a treaty is not the only issue that has been shoved into the
background. New economic measures, such as an end to a ban on new fish
farms, have been tied up in indecision over policy. The scheme to offer
cheap power in return for job creation that was to produce at least one
major aluminum smelter hasn't paid off; a plan to create more than 20,000
new forestry jobs failed; efforts to sell off government assets are
stalled; and Finance Minister Joy MacPhail has warned that this year's
deficit will be at least five times the forecast $95-million.

Nisga'a Chief Joe Gosnell said in an interview that provincial delays in
dealing with the treaty are creating fear that it wouldn't be passed before
parliament recesses for the summer. The plan had been for the historic
Nisga'a land-claim and self-government treaty to be passed first by the
Nisga'a in a referendum, then by the BC Legislature and then by Parliament.
The treaty gives the Nisga'a about $340-million and 2,000 square kilometres
in northwestern BC to settle land claims. Mr. Clark has said it sets a
template for the 42 treaties now being negotiated in British Columbia. Mr.
Gosnell said the long delay in provincial approval is blocking Nisga'a
plans to begin economic development.

The government introduced the treaty with great fanfare in December,
calling a special legislative session, then halted debate after two weeks.
It recalled the legislature ahead of schedule in January based on the need
to move the debate forward quickly, then called off debate indefinitely
without warning when Mr. Wilson, a former Liberal leader, joined the NDP as
Aboriginal Affairs Minister. At that time the government was being hammered
by the Opposition over cost overruns on the fast-ferry project, championed
by Mr. Clark. Mr. Wilson said he expects that the treaty, now in committee
stage, will move quickly through the legislature when debate resumes,
likely around March 24.

"Most of the contentious issues have already been debated," he said. "We're
probably looking now at just a matter of weeks until we get that committee
stage completed." He said he favours evening sittings and extended hours to
get the treaty through and would meet with Liberal aboriginal-affairs
critic Mike de Jong on Thursday to discuss the schedule. But Liberal Leader
Gordon Campbell said the debate won't be speedy. "There's tons of questions
the government still hasn't answered," he said, including the real total
cost of the treaty.

The police raid on Mr. Clark's home was in connection with an investigation
into a casino licensing application. However Mr. Clark is not under police
investigation.
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

"The purpose of the BC Treaty Process is to legitimize the theft of our
lands," says Haida Elder Lavina White... and 'They' agree:

"It is more of a shield than a weapon with respect to Aboriginal rights."
-- BC Premier Glen Clark, January 19, 1999, Nisga'a debates hansard

"Until this treaty is signed, government has no jurisdiction over Nisga'a
land.... We're not creating a homeland but the opposite - allodial title
with the province creates more certainty." -- BC NDP Aboriginal Affairs
Minister Gordon Wilson, January 19, 1999 Nisga'a debates hansard.

"This is not really a Nation. All I care is what the limitations,
restrictions, restraints upon their rights are.... I don't care if they
call themselves Tribal Council or Nation." -- BC AG Ujjal Dosanjh. January
19, 1999 Nisga'a debates hansard.

"I have long been a supporter of "cede, release, and surrender"
language.... I don't believe anybody could believe the language in Sections
22, 31 [of treaty] to be inferior to cede, release and surrender.
Negotiators and government have gotten it right. I do believe very much
that this is superior. We've got it right. I commend government." -- Jack
Weisgerber, Independent MLA, former leader of BC Reform party, January 20,
1999 Nisga'a debates hansard.

For more information on the fraudulent BC Treaty Commission, please visit:
   http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/Clark/BCgovt.html
   http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/Clark/aug98nis.html
   http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/Clark/switlo.html

SOVEREIGNTY IS THE ANSWER - CANADA IS THE PROBLEM

Letters to the Globe and Mail - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed
a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit
research and educational purposes only.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
    S.I.S.I.S.   Settlers In Support of Indigenous Sovereignty
        P.O. Box 8673, Victoria, "B.C." "Canada" V8X 3S2

        EMAIL : <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        WWW: http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/SISmain.html

    SOVERNET-L is a news-only listserv concerned with indigenous
    sovereigntist struggles around the world.  To subscribe, send
    "subscribe sovernet-l" in the body of an email message to
                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          For more information on sovernet-l, contact S.I.S.I.S.
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

Reply via email to