At 11:49 AM 12/18/98 -0600, you wrote:
>This message is forwarded to you as a service of Zapatistas Online.
>
>
>Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 18:33:35 -0500
>From: irlandesa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Melel News Synthesis, 12/17
>Sender: irlandesa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: chiapas-i <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>������� melel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Originally Published in Spanish by Melel Xojobal
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>___________________
>Translated by irlandesa
>
>Date:�� Thursday, December 17, 1998� 19:02:52 -0600
>From:�� Melel Xojobal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Press Synthesis
>Thursday, December 17, 1998
>
>*******************
>EL BOSQUE
>*******************
>
>La Jornada.� POLICE AND PARAMILITARY OCCUPY UNION PROGRESO FOR 16 HOURS
>������� Some fifty Public Security Police mambers and 12 civilians,
>presumably members of a new paramilitary group operating in Los Altos of
>Chiapas, occupied the community of Union Progreso, located in El Bosque,
>for 16 hours, and provoked the displacement of some 43 families, EZLN
>sympathizers, to the mountains.� In less than six months, this town has
>been assaulted twice by state police forces.� The representative of the
>autonomous government of San Juan de la Libertad, Sebastian Lopez,
>explained that, on Tuesday night, State Public Security forces, guided by
>paramilitaries, arrived in the village in order to detain persons whom the
>authorities were trying to blame for the ambush suffered by Los Platanos
>residents.� He added that the police left Union Progreso at 11 on Wednesday
>morning, after having searched several houses.
>
>*******************
>La Jornada.� PUBLIC SECURITY SAYS EVERYTHING IS CALM IN EL BOSQUE
>������� Public Security forces stationed in Los Platanos, a primarily PRI
>town, where a part of the armed civilian groups are centered, stated that
>the region is calm.� However, he admitted that they had received orders
>from the State Attorney General's office to detain those responsible for
>the ambush which occurred last Sunday.
>
>******************
>Melel Xojobal.� CDHFBC DENOUNCES GRAVE SITUATION IN MUNICIPALITY OF EL
>BOSQUE.
>������� The Fray Bartolome de las Casas Human Rights Center (CDHFBC)
>denounced the grave situation of insecurity which exists in the
>municipality of El Bosque, following the ambush which occurred near the
>community of Los Platanos.� It explained that, due to that event, the
>presence of State Public Security police had been increased, under the
>pretext of protecting the civil population.� The CDHFBC added that there
>are rumors that elements of the Judicial Police, Public Security and
>Federal Army are entering the community of Union Progreso and Chavajeval,
>in order to massacre the people.� They said there are also reports that
>Public Security went into the Alvaro Obregon community.
>
>*******************
>Cuarto Poder.� STATE GOVERNMENT DENIES POLICE ATTACK IN UNION PROGRESO.
>������� The state govenrment said it is not true that Public Security
>forces had attacked the town of Union Progreso, nor that the police are
>coordinating their actions with paramilitary groups.� They explained that
>members of Public Security went to the community of Alvaro Obregon in order
>to continue their investigations into the ambush, but, upon being assaulted
>by the residents, they decided to withdraw.
>
>************************
>DISARMAMENT LAW
>************************
>
>Cuarto Poder.� BISHOPS ASK ARMED CIVILIAN GROUPS TO ACCEPT DISARMAMENT LAW.
>������� The Bishops of Tapachula and Tuxtla, Felipe Arizmendi and Aguirre
>Franco, respectively, called on civil groups to turn in their weapons,
>specifying that the only armed groups should be the Federal Army, the EZLN
>and the police.� At the same time they noted that the EZLN is protected
>under the Law for Dialogue and Reconciliation.� Meanwhile, businesses in
>the state such as Canatram, Canaco and the Business Coordinating Council
>said that the EZLN should also be included in the disarmament law.
>
>***********************
>Cuarto Poder.�� PAN AND PRD REJECT AMNESTY AND DISARMAMENT.
>������� The National Action (PAN) and the Democratic Revolutionary (PRD)
>Parties rejected the proposal for the Amnesty Law for the Disarmament of
>Civilan Groups in Chiapas, on the grounds that the government is trying to
>institutionalize the presence and actions of paramilitary groups with this
>law.
>
>**********************
>Cuarto Poder.�� ORGANIZATIONS REJECT AMNESTY PROPOSAL.
>������� The FAC-MLN stated that the purpose of the Disarmament Law is to
>pardon the crimes which the paramilitary groups have carried out, evading
>official responsibility for the criminal acts they have committed.� In
>addition, they noted that a federal law exists which punishes the
>possession of weapons, and there is no need to create another.� They also
>mentioned the need to recognize the existence of paramilitary groups who
>have received militray training, advisement and protection from security
>police forces.� They noted the only way to bring peace to the state is
>through the carrying out of the San Andres Accords and the resolution of
>the demands of political and social organizations.� Lastly, they said that
>social organizations have always demanded that the paramilitaries be
>punished with the full weight of the law, as well as those who organize,
>finance and instruct them militarily.
>
>*****************************
>ACTEAL CASE
>*****************************
>
>Cuarto Poder.� THOSE IMPRISONED FOR ACTEAL SAY THEY ARE SCAPEGOATS.
>������� The former Mayor of Chenalho, Jacinto Arias Cruz, and retired
>General Julio Santiago Diaz, both imprisoned in Cerro Hueco for their
>alleged responsibility in the Acteal massacre, said they are scapegoats,
>and the truly guilty ones remain at large.� Arias Cruz mentioned the legal
>proceedings against him are progressing because only 38 of the 58 witnesses
>who have accused him of having armed civilians, have testified.� He also
>said that the witnesses' accusations are based on rumors which were heard
>by other persons.� Meanwhile, Santiago Diaz explained that, on the day of
>the massacre, he was on the Majomut sandbank, some two kilometers from
>Acteal, and, he stated, he did not hear the shots, which is why he did not
>intervene in order to stop the attack.� He said that he is confident there
>will be a legal resolution in his favor in January.
>
>*********************************
>*********************************
>
>--
>To unsubscribe from this list send a message containing the words
>unsubscribe chiapas95 to [EMAIL PROTECTED]� Previous messages
>are available from http://www.eco.utexas.edu/faculty/Cleaver/chiapas95.html
>or gopher://eco.utexas.edu.
>
������������������ &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed
without profit or payment ...Cornell Law Link
������������������� &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
�
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
Unenh onhwa' Awayaton
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
