And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] (S.I.S.I.S.) writes:
INUIT TAKE IMPORTANT STEP FORWARD WITH LAND CLAIM
Canadian Press, Dec. 19, 1998 by Michelle Macafee
[S.I.S.I.S. note: The following mainstream news article may contain biased
or distorted information and may be missing pertinent facts and/or context.
It is provided for reference only.]
ST. JOHNS, Nfld. (CP) - Negotiators for 5,000 Labrador Inuit, the
Newfoundland government and Ottawa have reached a tentative agreement on a
land-claim settlement, eliminating one of several obstacles on the road to
a mining development at Voiseys Bay. The tentative agreement in principle,
reached late Thursday night and to be formalized in the next few weeks, is
a significant step in a process that began eight years ago with the signing
of a framework agreement.
"This is a good step ahead in that there are no more issues to negotiate,"
said Winston White, spokesman for the Labrador Inuit Association. "We're
starting to work toward more certainty."
The negotiations were based on a deal reached last year that would see the
Inuit take control of a five per cent chunk of Labrador, as well as 25 per
cent of Newfoundlands revenues from mining, oil and gas production. The
Inuit will also be given direct ownership of about 15,700 square kilometres
of Labrador. Boundaries for the Inuit territory have not yet been drawn.
Inuit will also co-manage with the Newfoundland government a further
56,000 square kilometres to be known as the Labrador Settlement Area. That
land will remain under the control of the Crown but preferential hunting
and fishing rights will be given to the Inuit.
White said he hopes the final agreement, which could take another year to
reach, will bring the kind of immediate and positive changes for the
Labrador Inuit that he has seen develop in the eastern Northwest
Territories since a deal was reached to establish that region's own
government. "Within a year after that agreement, opportunities opened up
for Inuit entrepreneurs" said White. "It was a new stimulus, not just
economic, but the culture was revived."
One of the most immediate economic development opportunities for the Inuit
could come from Incos proposed nickel development at Voiseys Bay, situated
on land claimed by the Inuit and the Innu Nation. But both groups have said
there will be no project without land-claim agreements and separate
benefit-sharing deals with Inco.
Negotiations between governments and the Innu are continuing, as are talks
between Inco and the aboriginals.
Premier Brian Tobin said Friday he was pleased with the latest
developments in negotiations. More details will be released once the
agreement in principle has been thoroughly reviewed, he added.
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed
a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit
research and educational purposes only.
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
S.I.S.I.S. Settlers In Support of Indigenous Sovereignty
P.O. Box 8673, Victoria, "B.C." "Canada" V8X 3S2
EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/SISmain.html
SOVERNET-L is a news-only listserv concerned with indigenous
sovereigntist struggles around the world. To subscribe, send
"subscribe sovernet-l" in the body of an email message to
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For more information on sovernet-l, contact S.I.S.I.S.
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-: