And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>X-Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.3 (32)
>Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 21:36:56 -0500
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>From: Ron & Eileen Stanford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Disturbance of Remains at Salt Mine irks Senecas
>
>Rochester Democrat and Chronicle               Wednesday, December 23, 1998
>
>Disturbance of Remains at Salt Mine irks Senecas
>
>� The company building the new facility in Livingston is uncooperative,
>tribe says.
>
>BY STAFF WRITER
>Matthew Daneman
>
>HAMPTON CORNERS�
>
>       American Rock Salt Co. is doing little to avoid digging up or disturbing
>human remains possibly buried at its Livingston County mine site, a group
>of area Native Americans charge.
>       "We regard the remains to be sacred." Said G. Peter Jemison of the
>Tonawanda Band of the Seneca Nation, based in Basom, Gennesee County. "When
>construction like this comes along � we have to protect those remains."
>       Jemison said that the company, which is building a new salt mine off Route
>63 south of Geneseo, has refused to follow suggestions made by the Seneca
>Nation on ways to handle Native American remains likely buried on part of
>the construction site.
>       "I don�t know if there�s a way to work it out ," Jemison said yesterday,
>standing along Route 63 just yards from where workers continued
>construction of the mine.
>       The complaints come after a human skull fragment at least 3,500 years old
>was uncovered at the mine site in late November. The bone was found near
>Interstate 390, near where a railroad line to the mine will be built.
>Jemison said he met with American Rock Salt officials earlier this month
>after finding out about the uncovered remains. He suggested that the
>company halt work in an area of about 240 square yards on the 200 acre mine
>site until archaeologists can check the vicinity for more remains.
>       "I�m not telling them to shut down the whole site," Jemison said.
>       But, he said, the company has indicated it won�t do that. And American
>Rock Salt also has rejected that a guard be posted at the site during off
>hours to keep artifact scavengers away, Jemison said.
>       "There are �pot hunters� in this area," Jemison said.
>       Gunther Buerman a Rochester lawyer and co-owner of the $126 million mining
>project, could not be reached for comment yesterday.
>       Seneca Nation member Darwin Hill said the Native American community
>usually gets full cooperation from developers when artifact problems come
>up at construction sites. American Rock Salt has been somewhat Native
>American community, taking care to avoid two burial mounds at the site.
>       Jemison said he still hopes to talk with American Rock Salt about the
>issue � especially now that frozen ground prevents some work. *
> 

<<<<=-=-=FREE LEONARD PELTIER=-=-=>>>> 
If you think you are too small to make a difference;
try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito....
African Proverb
<<<<=-=http://www.tdi.net/ishgooda/ =-=>>>> 
IF it says:
"PASS THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW...."
Please Check it before you send it at:

http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/library/blhoax.htm

Reply via email to