And now:Sonja Keohane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

        A quote from the article...

"Mease said he fears DOL will run the animals to death or cause injury to
people. "They're hurting them," he said. He also fears the stress of
running animals, sometimes for several miles, through deep snows, will
cause pregnant females to abort. "They're creating the very problem they're
concerned about," he said. "Aborted fetuses.""

        <http://www3.gomontana.com/>

By SCOTT McMILLION Chronicle Staff Writer
12/29/1998

Buffalo Nations rattles sabers over hazing

A leader of a protest group that opposes repeated hazing of bison in the
West Yellowstone area said Monday he could not rule out direct interference
with the hazing.

"I'm not saying yes and I'm not saying no," said Mike Mease, co-founder of
the protest group Buffalo Nations. "There might be individuals within our
group that might be considering it."

Last winter, a handful of Buffalo Nations members were arrested for
interfering -- or attempting to interfere -- with Montana Department of
Livestock officials when they captured or killed bison.

Such activities are known as "direct action" and last winter consisted
mostly of people locking themselves to equipment or defying orders to stay
out of areas.

Interfering with a herd of running bison being chased by people on
snowmobiles could pose some obvious hazards.

Mease's group sent out a press release Sunday maintaining DOL is harming
bison and other wildlife with the hazing.

"We simply are not going to stand by and watch as DOL agents haze these
animals to death," said group member Dan Brister.

----see complete article at url above----