And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] (S.I.S.I.S.) writes:

METIS LEADERS MEET ABORIGINAL COUNTERPARTS
Kahtou News, December 1998 Page 24

Buenos Aries - Representatives of Argentinean and Canadian Aboriginal
Peoples held historic meetings in Buenos Aries as part of a trade and
investment mission organized by Natural Resources Canada (NRCan). "It was
interesting to discover that the Aboriginal Peoples of the two countries
share many of the same concerns and aspirations," pointed out the
Honourable Ralph Goodale, Minister of Natural Resources Canada. "Our
discussions touched upon a wide range of issues."

"In this regard, the commitment expressed in the Buenos Aires Declaration
by the twenty member countries of the Mines Ministers of the Americas was
acknowledged at an important step forward. Plans for resource development
are all too often made without the active participation of Aboriginal
representatives," noted Gerald Morin, President of the Metis National
Council. "Whether in Argentina or Canada, we need to be directly involved
at all stages of the process." Mr Morin along with Ken Noskey, President of
the Metis Settlements General Council, are participating in a nine day
business trip led by Minister Goodale to Latin America. They will also meet
with Aboriginal leaders in Chile and Peru.

"It is not often that you have the chance to compare notes with community
leaders facing similar challenges. It was a true learning experience,"
explained Mr. Noskey. "I came away reassured that we in Canada are on the
right track despite the need to address some significant issues and the
sometimes frustrating pace of talks." Minister Goodale, representatives of
34 Canadian firms, and officials of resource associations, Aboriginal
leaders and provincial governments are in Argentina, Chile and Peru,
showcasing their expertise in natural resources.
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

SOVEREIGNTY NOT NEO-COLONIALISM - RESISTANCE NOT COMPLICITY!

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
    S.I.S.I.S.   Settlers In Support of Indigenous Sovereignty
        P.O. Box 8673, Victoria, "B.C." "Canada" V8X 3S2

        EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        WWW: http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/SISmain.html

    SOVERNET-L is a news-only listserv concerned with indigenous
    sovereigntist struggles around the world.  To subscribe, send
    "subscribe sovernet-l" in the body of an email message to
                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          For more information on sovernet-l, contact S.I.S.I.S.