And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Another Mystery Shrouds
  Kennewick Man: Who Stole His
  Bones?

http://www.sltrib.com/1999/jan/01011999/nation_w/71291.htm

      THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

          KENNEWICK, Wash. -- The U.S. Department of Justice is
      investigating removal of bone fragments from a 9,200-year-old
      skeleton called Kennewick Man.
          In March, the government concluded that someone took
      portions of the skeleton's femurs, which scientists consider the
      most valuable bones for study because they help reveal such
      things as height, age and other characteristics.
          Scientists said the apparent theft of the 9-inch to 12-inch long
      femurs was a ``deliberate act of desecration.''
          Allison Rumsey, who is handling the Kennewick Man case
      for the Justice Department, said Wednesday the agency is
      conducting an ``active investigation,'' but policy prevents her
      from elaborating.
          ``The Justice Department takes this issue very seriously,'' she
      said. ``There is an investigation under way, and we will continue
      to monitor this situation closely.''
          Northwest Indian tribes and scientists have filed conflicting
      claims of ownership of the bones. Indians claim the skeleton as
      an ancestor, but scientists say evidence suggests Kennewick
      Man may not be related to modern American Indians.
          ``We as tribes do not want the bones separated from the
      skeleton,'' Marla Big Boy, attorney for the Confederated Tribes
      of the Colville Reservation, said Wednesday.
          The Colvilles are among five Northwest tribes that have
      claimed the skeleton and want it back for reburial in accordance
      with religious customs.
          ``If there has been any covert measures or actions, we want
      those who have done that held accountable,'' Big Boy said.
          So do the scientists who sued the federal government for the
      right to study the remains found 2 1/2 years ago on a Columbia
      River bank in a Kennewick park.
          Alan Schneider, a Portland, Ore., attorney who represents the
      scientists, said the federal government has been ``ducking the
      issue'' of the stolen remains.
          A Justice Department report filed Wednesday in U.S. District
      Court in Portland, Ore., makes little reference to the missing
      bones.
          The skeleton has temporarily been transferred to the
      University of Washington's Burke Museum in Seattle.
          In the government's report, federal archaeologists agreed with
      Richland scientist Jim Chatters that cracks developed in the skull
      as the saturated bones dried, and are not the result of
      mishandling by federal agencies.
          However, it blames Chatters for some of the deterioration.
      Chatters used plaster, wax and glue to prevent cracking, to
      reconstruct parts and to make a plaster cast of the skull.
          ``Dr. Chatters' treatment of the remains likely lead to some of
      the cracking he observed,'' the federal report concludes.
          Chatters defended his handling of the bones.
          ``I made every effort I could to minimize damage when they
      were in my care,'' he said. ``The cracking I observed was after
      they left my hands.''
          Schneider said it is irresponsible to blame Chatters because
      the government failed to assess the skeleton's condition when it
      was received in September 1996.
          The Interior Department said tests to find the bones' rightful
      owners will start in late February or early March.

<<<<=-=-=FREE LEONARD PELTIER=-=-=>>>>
If you think you are too small to make a difference;
try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito....
African Proverb
<<<<=-=http://www.tdi.net/ishgooda/ =-=>>>>
IF it says:
"PASS THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW...."