And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 21:22:20 -0400
From: Landis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

THE INDIAN HELPER
                ~%^%~
          A WEEKLY LETTER
             -FROM THE-
 Indian Industrial School, Carlisle, Pa.
 VOL. XIV. FRIDAY, May 5, 1899  NUMBER 28
 THE PESSIMIST
          --------
  Nothing to do but work.
    Nothing to eat but food.
  Nothing to wear but clothes.
    To keep one from going nude.

  Nothing to breathe but air.
    Quick as a flash 'tis gone;
  Nowhere to fall but off,
    Nowhere to stand but on.

  Nothing to comb but hair.
    Nowhere to sleep but in bed.
  Nothing to weep but tears.
    Nothing to bury but dead.

  Nothing to sing but songs.
    Ah, well, alas! alack!
  Nowhere to go but out,
    Nowhere to come but back.

  Nothing to see but sights.
    Nothing to quench but thirst.
  Nothing to have but what we've got;
    Thus thro' life we are cursed.

  Nothing to strike but a gait;
    Everything moves that goes.
  Nothing at all but common sense.
    Can ever withstand these woes.

   - Phil King, in Chicago "Journal."

   =====================
   RESOLUTIONS OF RESPECT.
 ---------
                CARLISLE, Pa. April 26, 1899.
  EDITOR INDIAN HELPER:
    Will you kindly publish the enclosed resolutions adopted by our
class, in your paper?  We wish it to be known at the Indian School how
much we feel the loss of such a classmate as Thomas Marshall was.
         Respectfully,
      W. LEWIS HALDY,
         Dickinson, '00.

  WHEREAS, Death has suddenly removed form our midst our beloved friend
and classmate, Thomas P. Marshall; and
  WHEREAS, We the members of the class of Nineteen Hundred of Dickinson
College, to whom he had become endeared through his noble Christian
life, hereby wish to express our grief at his loss and our smypathy with
the bereaved family and the many friends of our classmate; therefore be
it
  RESOLVED, That a copy of this resolution be sent to his parents, that
it be printed in the "Dickinsonian," and that it be recorded in the
minutes of the class.
  Signed,
     W. LEWIS HALDY
     J. MORGAN CLARK
     T. LEONARD HOOVER.
   Committee.

   =====================
      THE WEDDING.
        -------
  Annie Gesis looked very pretty in her gown of Organdie white and
floral decorations as she stood before the minister, in the midst of a
small company of guests, to take the vows which made her the wife of
Bemus Pierce, last Thursday evening, in the Susan Longstreth Society
Hall.
  And Bemus?
  He, too, was handsome in his erect bigness, dressed in plain black
suit with faultless fit.
  When the hour arrived, the groom came in unaccompanied, and took a
position on one side of the central floral decorations.
  It was a trying moment for a man who has made himself conspicuous all
through his school life for his retiring modesty, but as at times when
on the football field his metal was the reserve power that made him
equal to almost any emergency, so in this, one of the most trying
moments of his life, this same metal proved sufficient to keep him, to
all outward appearances, self-possessed and dignified, if a little pale.

  When Miss Senseney took her place at the piano and began to play
Mendelssohn's Wedding March, the stately tread of the bride and her
attendants, as they came slowly down the long hall was heard, and every
eye turned toward the door in eager expectancy.
  Little Grace Khy and Esanetuck dressed in white gowns and pink sashes,
entered first, scattering flowers on the way.
  Then came Major Pratt with the bride, whom he was to give away, upon
his arm.
  ----------------------------------
      (continued on last page.)

(page 2)
         THE INDIAN HELPER
         PRINTED EVERY FRIDAY
                --AT THE--
Indian Industrial School, Carlisle, Pa.,
          BY INDIAN BOYS.
---> THE INDIAN HELPER is PRINTED by Indian
boys, but EDITED by The Man-on-the-band-stand
         who is NOT an Indian.
    P r i c e -- 10  c e n t s  p e r  y e a r
Entered in the P.O. at Carlisle as second
        class mail matter.
Address INDIAN HELPER, Carlisle, Pa.
       Miss Marianna Burgess, Supt. of Printing.
Do not hesitate to take the HELPER from the
Post Office for if you have not paid for it
some one else has.  It is paid for in advance.
  Chauncey Yellowrobe directs a change of address from Ft. Lewis
Colorado, to Rosebud Agency, South Dakota.
  "I think bullets of education are better than bullets of lead in
killing the Indian," says Alice Ridgeway of Bustelton, Philadelphia.
  Miss Carter has an interesting letter from Simon Standingdeer, who is
not well, but he is still as fond of flowers as ever, and his started a
flower garden in North Carolina.  He has sent for certain slips.
  Captain Martin Wheelock of the football team has been detailed as
captain for the small boys' company, and assistant to Mrs. Given.  While
the football management may try his metal, his position as captain of
the small boys will try his manhood, and for that reason is a position
to be sought for and to hold if possible.  The Man-on-the-band-stand
wishes him success.
  The two best declamations of the evening on Saturday night at the
monthly exhibition was one on "Making the Most of Life," by Frank Beale,
and George Moore's "The Pacific Ocean and our Future There," by Wm.
Wlliott Griffin.  Luzenia Tibbetts' "The Ride of Jennie McNeal," (with
the exception of a slight lapse of memory) was beautifully rendered.
Maud Snyder received good applause after her "One, Two, Three," and Ada
Smith's and Rose Poodry's piano duet was well enjoyed.  The school song
was rendered in excellent time and tune and the choir sang "Happy and
Light" in a manner that pleased everybody.  Laura Parker of No. 6, made
a good impression, while Elias Cekiya, Agnes White, David Haddon, Dora
Sanook, Wallace Miller and Joseph LaFrambois all spoke well; the little
girls from No. 2, and the pupils from No. 13 added variety by way of
song and gems.  The closing tableau was a representation of one J.G.
Brown's famous World's fair paintings, and the exhibition taken as a
whole was pronounced by all as one of the best.

  Very affectionate and motherly letters come from Sarah William's to
her little girl friends at Carlisle.  Sarah is at Tomah, Wisconsin, in
the Government school. Shelah and Esanetuck were the last to receive
letters.  She tells many reasons why the little girls here ought to be
happy.
  A letter from Annie Gesis Pierce says she has a delightful home,
overlooking Lake Erie.  She can see the ships as they sail on the lake,
and she is as happy as happy can be.  Mrs. Pierce wishes to extend
heart-felt thanks through the columns of the HELPER, to those who kindly
remembered her with wedding gifts, and to all for their words of
friendly cheer and good wishes.
  Hon. Henry C. Herr, who was a prominent mayor of Moorestown, N.J.,
died recently, and is mourned by a large circle of friends.  Mr. Herr
was one of Carlisle's first country patrons and in his family Agnes
Picotte is now living.  She writes of her country father, as she calls
him: "He has always been such a faithful man, and he always took such an
interest in the girls who have lived with his family; always interested
in our studies and willing to assist us in our work during our schooling
in the country.  He was certainly an excellent teacher.
  The printers and tailors are beginning a series of games of ball.
They are pretty evenly matched, if we may judge from a two-inning
practice game the other evening when the tailors won by a score of 5 to
4; but as anything short of five innings is not considered a game there
may be some hope of the printers yet if they "slug" the ball and "lead"
their bats, "stick" to it, play by "rule" and "em-brace" every
opportunity to catch a "fly."  As the "gooso's" must be all "fowl" there
is not much expectation of their knocking fair ball, but if they get
hungry we have "type-lice" to spare which may strengthen them so that
they can play a real game.  The printers will not "press" the "matter,"
however.
  Mrs. Cook's pupils gave a very enjoyable entertainment entirely of
their own get-up on Wednesday evening in Assembly Hall, before the
members of her school and a few invited guests.  Adam Spring, Mary
Bruce, Charles Coleman, Grace Warren, Frank Bender, Lottie Harris,
Lillie Cornelius, Nelson Hare and Harold Parker, each declaimed with
earnestness and power.  David Johnson dressed to look like Abraham
Lincoln gave Lincoln's famous Gettysburg speech.  He was escorted to his
chair by General Gordon (Frank Thomas) and another distinguished looking
officer (Fred Tibbetts.)  Ulysses Ferris played two violin selections,
which carried some of the older members of the audience back to
"ho-down" days in the country.  Nora Denny and Celinda King make their
debut as pianists and did very well for the first effort.  The new
arrival, Evan Goslyah, rendered Swanee River, on his clarinet, in a
manner that surprised everybody showing that he has been under good
instruction and that by continuing he may make his mark in the world.
Thomas Morgan and Ralph King gave Saxophone solos, in a manner that
pleased all, and Geo. Moore who plays the Oboe, made some merriment with
tones on his new and peculiar instrument.
(page 3)
  Girls! UMpire, not "em."
  No visitors.  Funny, isn't it?
  Strawberry cream!  Yum! Yum!
  Wouldn't it go good to take a trolley ride.?
  Who says we shall not enjoy our liberty when we get it?
  Hasn't the band been a comfort and a delight to us shut0ins?
  The lawn mower again singeth, but the iron roller has a louder voice.
  It did not take that organ grinder long to get off the grounds one day
last week.
  Where are the "dandy lions," that they do not challenge the small boys
for another game?
  How often when we made a mistake do we begin to look around to see
whom we can blame it on?
  Miss Peter takes Miss McCooks' place in Major Pratt's office for a
time, and Miss Seonia takes No. 1.
  Even the damp weather croakers were glad to see the rain this week,
and all vegetation has taken a new start.
  If we have any pessimists in our midst, the Man-on-the-band-stand
would like them to read the poem on first page.
  Everybody follow the band concert with HELPER program in hand, and let
us learn the names of the pieces as they are played.
  One of the laundry women said the other evening that she did not mind
at all having to stay out from town.  She liked it out here.
  Miss Senseney and Miss Newcomer visit the Invincibles tonight, Miss
Seonia and Professor Bakeless the Standards, Mrs. sawyer and Miss Morton
the Susans.
  Miss Jemison of Versailles, New York, was a visitor this week.  She is
a cousin of Rose Poodry, and has been an employee of the Genoa Nebraska
School, for some time.
  Miss Weekley and Miss Ely have received roses, and other beautiful
flowers from South Carolina this week, the former from her home and the
latter from the Gage's in Beaufort.
  Lon Spieche, snare drummer of the band, is rapidly making for himself
a reputation for rolling the sticks.  Joe Harris, class '89, was the
best drummer we ever had, but Lon is fast reaching the acme.
  "I am a subscriber of the INDIAN HELEPR, and was a pupil of the school
for five years.  I now want the paper because I want to know what is
going on at the school," writes little Joe Delisle.
  The Major's talk after the exhibition last Saturday night was full of
encouragement for those who are making an effort to overcome
difficulties in the way of speaking.  He was pleased with the marked
improvement manifest in speaking so as to be heard over the entire room,
but said that he was hungry for more excellence in this particular,
especially in the ability to state a case with power and eloquence.  He
would have our student use the exhibitions all they can and every
opportunity in the societies to make of themselves clear and able
speakers.

  The sewing-room women who live in town seem to be enjoying life, if
they ARE a little penned in.  It is nice to have them out with us.  We
get a little better acquainted.
  A fire in town on Tuesday evening caused considerable anxiety on the
part of some of the workmen whose homes are in town and who have to
remain out here on account of the quarantine.
  There has come to live with Mr. and Mrs. Guy LeRoy Stevick, in Denver,
Colorado, another little baby girl.  Four girls and two boys now make up
the family.  It will be remembered that Mrs. Stevick is Major Pratt's
daughter.
  Four new pupils came to us this week, viz:  Evan Goslyah, and Apache
boy from the Grand Junction School.  He is a fine clarinet player;
Albert Sheldon and brother, Nez Perces from Idaho, and Charles Doxtator
of Oneida, Wisconsin.
  Miss Miles was more than eight furlongs out of the way when she sent
over to the paint-shop for a window jack the other day, for she dated
the request 1898.  But then "prudence" is a good thing to have; better
short of the truth than an exaggerated statement.
  Mr. Standing addressed the Sunday School, last Sunday morning,
reviewing the lesson for the day, and closing with a beautiful tribute
to the character and life of the late Assistant Superintendent of the
Sunday School, Thomas Marshall.  Miss Weekley has kindly consented to
act as Assistant Superintendent until the next election of officers.
  TO THE INDIAN HELPER: In her deep sorrow, Miss Gertrude Simmons wishes
to express gratitude for the sympathy extended to her through the HELEPR
and also through personal letters.  There is no reconciliation for the
loss of so pure and noble a life-force, only in the thought that Mr.
Marshall has gained "that purest heaven." -May 2nd, Boston.
  The band for Saturday night May 6th, will give the following program:
  1. Overture, Poet and Peasant - Suppe; 2. Selection, "Faust" - Gounod;
3. Minuet - Boccherini; 4. March, Semper Fidelis -Sousa; 5. Song and
Dance, Reina Blanch - Cummings; 6. Operatic Potpourri - Beyer; 7. Jolly
Musicians - Muscat; 8. Star Spangled Banner - Sousa.
  Miss McCook who has been Major Pratt's stenographer and typewriter for
the past three years resigned and has gone to her home in Philadelphia.
Running down in health she has wisely concluded to take a rest from
work.  Through the departure of Miss McCook, our school loses another
worthy and efficient worker, and she will be missed by her friends at
the school as well as by a large circle in town with whom she was
popular.
  There is every prospect at this writing that quarantine will be raised
in a day or two.  There are no new cases of a suspicious nature and
those who have been held in close quarantine on account of eruptions,
have had a good time, save the confinement, and they will be out very
soon. Everything looks hopeful, but every pupil who develops a pimple of
any kind may expect to be closely watched for some time.
(page 4) (continued from first page.)
Hawley Pierce and Melinda Metoxen were next, followed by Artie Miller
and Luzenia Tibbetts, the bridesmaids dressed in white, and the grooms
in becoming suits of dark.
  Reverent Alexander McMillan, Rector of St. John's, performed the
impressive ceremony of the Episcopalian Church.
  The usual congratulations followed, and refreshments had their
accustomed place.
  The bride's cake, which was a large and handsome one was brought to
the front, and the bride with a skill and coolness that was most
becoming apportioned it to the guests, each of whom was eager to get a
small piece to dream over.
  The company numbered about seventy-five special friends.
  Mr. and Mrs. Pierce took the nine o'clock train for Irving, New York,
where Mr. Pierce has a home of his own and a farm which he intends to
cultivate.
  The Man-on-the-band-stand does not believe that the happy couple can
ever forget the moment of departure from old Carlisle.
  The band was out in full force and playing stirring airs; the school
swarmed about the Herdic coach, which had been secretly decorated with
all sorts of curious things for "luck," and the old shoes and rice were
sufficiently manifest to make the occasion memorable.
  Each one in the jolly crowd that was left behind seemed anxious to do
his and her part to show good feeling and that we as a school wished the
newly married couple joy and happiness in great abundance.
  Bemus Pierce, of the Seneca tribe, New York, has attained a national
reputation as Captain and right guard of our football team. He attended
school here for some time, then took a responsible position in our
boiler room which he has held for several years.  In the capacity as
workman and as a football player as well as socially he will be greatly
missed.
  Annie Gesis, of the White Earth Agency, Minnesota, Chippewa, graduated
this year, and during her school period has had considerable experience
as pupil teacher in the Normal Department.  She is a very popular girl
and greatly beloved by her little pupils as well as her school mates and
friends, all of whom miss her.
 =========================
             A-TE-KA.
      --------
  Mrs. Platt, known to the readers of the HELPER as A-te-ka, a name of
endearment in the Pawnee Indian tongue, came to see us a few days ago
all the way from her home in Oberlin, Ohio.  It was not she, but a fine
likeness of her in the shape of a photograph.  She is an octogenarian,
but looks in the picture as though she were but middle aged. She says
she is a woman of one idea and that is the development of the Indian.
  If any person in the United States has a right to that idea it is Mrs.
Platt, who spent many of the best years of her life among the Indians
first as a Missionary then as a Government worker.
  The Pawnees loved her.  A generation has risen since she was among
them, but the older men and women of the tribe still speak her name with
reverence.
  Mrs. Platt promises another story for the HELPER, ere long.
 ======================
    BUCKNELL'S ESTIMATE OF OUR PLAYING BALL.
       -----------
  Bucknell, who defeated our boys on the 22nd of April has this to say
in the Orange and Blue about the playing of the Indian team:
  The Indians have a crack base ball team.  They play fast, snappy ball,
and Bucknell can justly feel proud of their victory.
  LeRoy, the little Indian pitched a good game for the red men, and the
work of the two Millers was of the sensational order.
 =====================
       MORE THAN SHE THOUGHT.
     ---------
  Agnes Pecott [Picotte], in a country home says she is well and happy
and is only a little sorry that she has to quit school, having had the
regulation number of days.  But she adds: "I would, and I hope to be
able to go back to Carlisle with a report of which I shall not be
ashamed.  Now that I have stopped school I am growing much interested in
my work and am trying to improve all the time."
 ====================
  Schedule for Future Ball Games.

  May 6, Gettysburg, here.
   " 13, Mercersburg, at Mercersburg.
   " 17, Dickinson, Carlisle.
   " 20, Ursinus, at Norristown.
   " 24, University of Md., at Baltimore.
   " 27, Gettysburg, at Gettysburg.
   " 30, Dickinson, here.
 June 3, Albright, at Myerstown.
   " 10, Harrisburg Country Club, at Harrisburg.

   =======================
          Enigma.
    ------------
  I am made of 9 letters.
  It is a good thing for a printer to get 5, 6, 4 of his slow ways when
he 8, 7, 9, 8 type.
  If he cannot he had better 2, 6, 4, 7 his head and call it 1, 6, 5, 3.

  My whole is how April has distinguished itself this year.
 ---------------
  ANSWER TO LAST WEEK'S ENIGMA: Perseverance.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
 Transcribed every week from the Carlisle Indian School newspaper
collection of the Cumberland County Historical Society by Barbara
Landis, Carlisle Indian School Research - http://www.epix.net/~landis.

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html
doctrine of international copyright law.
          Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
                     Unenh onhwa' Awayaton
                  http://www.tdi.net/ishgooda/