And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 21:14:07
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: KOLA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Seattle U. might stop using Chieftain as mascot

>http://www.seattletimes.com/cgi-bin/news/local/masc_19990521.html
Friday, May 21, 1999

Seattle U. might stop using Chieftain as mascot
by Roberto Sanchez
Seattle Times staff reporter

Seattle University is thinking of replacing The Chieftain, its mascot of
61 years, with something less offensive to Native Americans.

A task force of administrators, professors and students is almost ready
to recommend that the university dump its mascot name and logo, which
features an Indian chief in profile.

Nancy Gerou, athletic director at Seattle University, said she has a
list of 15 or 20 possible names and mascots, but said the university
wasn't ready to choose yet. People or groups, however, are out.

"It would be more appropriate to choose an object or an animal," Gerou
said.

The task force will hold a public hearing on Wednesday, then it will be
up to Seattle University's Cabinet to decide whether the mascot goes or
stays in a modified fashion.

Eric Davis, director of the office of minority affairs, said the
university has been thinking about changing its mascot for a long time,
out of concern some people may be offended by the use of a stylized
Indian as an icon.

"Folks have come to realize that you can't rally around something that
community members will perceive as offensive," Davis said.

Two events have prompted the action. In December, Seattle University was
accepted into the Division II of the National Collegiate Athletic
Association, which will give it more exposure. And this year the
Associated Students of Seattle University, in particular president Jason
Madrano, have pleaded for a change.

The word chieftain means leader of a clan or tribe. It comes from the
Middle English word "cheftayne," which in turn comes from the Latin
"capitaneus," or captain.

At Seattle U., the Chieftain name and logo date to 1938, when it was
credited to Ed Donohoe, who covered sports for Seattle University's
student newspaper, The Spectator. Donohoe was fed up with the old team
name, "The Maroons," a name that opponents would debase to "Morons" or
"The Marooned," so he began calling the team "Chieftains" in his
stories, according to Walt Crowley's "Seattle University: A Century of
Jesuit Education."

Donohoe, who went on to fame as the curmudgeonly editor of the
Washington Teamster newspaper before his death in 1992, chose the name
to honor Chief Seattle, the Suquamish chief whose name the city bears.

Seattle University has asked for opinions from local Native-American
leaders, who have urged the school to choose a new mascot.

"I'm sure all of the sports teams and universities took those actions
originally out of respect toward Native Americans," said Bernie
Whitebear of the United Indians of All Tribes Foundation. "But it's now
developed into an animosity."

Whitebear said sports fans beating drums and hooting war cries conjure
up "negative images of Native Americans in our schools."

Seattle University soccer coach Peter Fewing, who served on the task
force, said at first he was opposed to changing the mascot, but he has
since changed his mind.

"We are emotionally tied to the Chieftain," Fewing said. "My guys
enjoyed being called the Chieftains. I feel like I've been educated.
Initially, I thought we weren't offending anybody."

Mark Burnett, Director of Alumni Relations, said his office is asking
alumni for comments about changing the mascot. So far, there hasn't been
a strong reaction, he said.

Megan Diefenbach, a Seattle U. admissions counselor who played soccer as
an undergraduate at the university, said she was still attached to the
mascot but can see why people would want a change.

"I certainly don't want a mascot that is offensive to a segment of the
population," Diefenbach said.

Roberto Sanchez's phone message number is 206-464-8522.

Copyright © 1999 Seattle Times Company

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html