And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Children's Health
http://www.ivanhoe.com/docs/thisweekonly/childrenshealth.html
        Pesticides, Fertilizers and Your Child's Health
                       by Lara Pullen

  If you live in an agricultural community, you're familiar with the sight of
  farmers working in the fields and the promise of fresh produce. A recent
  study from the University of Wisconsin has demonstrated, however, that
  there is a down side to this cultivation of life. The mixture of pesticides
  and fertilizers that seep from the fields to the groundwater may have a
  significant impact on the immune, endocrine and nervous systems of the
  people who drink the water.

  Dr. Warren Porter, lead investigator of the study, anticipated these
  results: "I am not surprised that the combination of chemicals can be so
  much worse than individual chemicals. This has already been
  demonstrated in cancer research."

  Amy Mucha, an environmental health scientist at U.S. EPA Region 5, is
  also not surprised: "I think it [the study] is very welcome. Not many
  people have been able to do the work in a systematic way. It would be
  great to see more information in the area."

  While the experts aren't shocked about the results, you may be. Dr.
  Porter found that the combination of pesticides and fertilizers that can be
  found in well water in agricultural areas around the country could alter
  thyroid hormone levels, suppress the immune response and increase
  aggression in mice.

  Since the EPA regulates chemicals individually and does not consider the
  potential combined effects of the chemicals, these potentially harmful
  levels in the water are considered acceptable. Dr. Porter's study is
  unusual because, unlike most toxicology studies that examine the effect
  of high levels of a single chemical on a single health endpoint, Dr. Porter
  studied low levels of several common chemicals that are frequently seen
  together.

  The study design was very complicated, but Dr. Porter believes that this
  more complicated approach better represents a typical human exposure
  to chemicals. "It is very important for people to think broadly rather than
  be focused on a single source of contamination," he says.

  Dr. Porter is also concerned that pesticides that have been previously
  considered "safe" by the EPA and passed traditional toxicological tests
  may turn out to be harmful when the effects are measured in
  combination with other common chemicals. He explains, "It is important
  for people to realize that all pesticides are almost certainly biologically
  'hot.'"

  Amy Mucha suggests that people respond to this new research by
  perhaps modifying their own exposure to pesticides. She explains, "Find
  out as much information as you can. Make the decision based upon
  information, not fear. If you want to be prudent, then reduce exposure. I
  would be more concerned about reducing exposure to [especially
  vulnerable populations such as] children or women of child-bearing age."

  That is exactly what Ross Thomas plans to do, who grew up on a farm
  in southern California. He has always bought some organic produce, but
  now he plans to seek it out even more, "Now that our son has been sick
  [frequent bouts of strep throat], we are more concerned about pesticides.
  I worry about the effects on the immune system."

  If you would like more information, please contact:

      Dr. Warren Porter
      University of Wisconsin

      Environmental Protection Agency Office of Pesticide Programs
      http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/food

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html