And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

http//www.ratical.org/radiation/NGP/LongDeath.html

                   THE LONG DEATH
                      by Marge Piercy

                Radiation is like oppression
                the average daily kind of subliminal toothache
                you get almost used to, the stench
                of chlorine in the water, of smog in the wind.

                We comprehend the disasters of the moment,
                the nursing home fire, the river in flood
                pouring over the sandbag levee, the airplane
                crash with fragments of burnt bodies
                scattered among the hunks of twisted metal,
                the grenade in the marketplace; the sinking ship.

                But how to grasp a thing that does not
                kill you today or tomorrow
                but slowly from the inside in twenty years.
                How to feel that a corporate or governmental
                choice means we bear twisted genes and our
                grandchildren will be stillborn if our
                children are very lucky.

                Slow death can not be photographed for the six
                o'clock news. It's all statistical,
                the gross national product or the prime
                lending rate. Yet if our eyes saw
                in the right spectrum, how it would shine,
                lurid as magenta neon.

                If we could smell radiation like seeping
                gas, if we could sense it as heat, if we
                could hear it as a low ominous roar
                of the earth shifting, then we would not sit
                and be poisoned while industry spokesmen
                talk of acceptable millirems and .02
                cancer per population thousand.

                We acquiesce at murder so long as it is slow,
                murder from asbestos dust, from tobacco,
                from lead in the water, from sulphur in the air,
                and fourteen years later statistics are printed
                on the rise in leukemia among children.
                We never see their faces. They never stand,
                those poisoned children together in a courtyard,
                and are gunned down by men in three-piece suits.

                The shipyard workers who built nuclear
                submarines, the soldiers who were marched
                into the Nevada desert to be tested by the
                H-bomb, the people who work in power plants,
                they die quietly years after in hospital
                ward and not on the evening news.

                The soft spring rain floats down and the air
                is perfumed with pine and earth. Seedlings
                drink it in, robins sop it in puddles,
                you run in it and feel clean and strong,
                the spring rain blowing from the irradiated
                cloud over the power plant.

                Radiation is oppression, the daily average
                kind, the kind you're almost used to
                and live with as the years abrade you,
                high blood pressure, ulcers, cramps, migraine,
                a hacking cough; you take it inside
                and it becomes pain and you say, not
                They are killing me, but I am sick now.

    Marge Piercy is the author of twelve collections of poetry, including
the Moon Is
    Always Female and Mars and Her Children. In 1990 her poetry won the Golden
    Rose, the oldest poetry award in the country. She says, "It is hard to
see how there
    could be a better use [for this poem. Nuclear Guardianship] is exactly
what the
    poem was written to accomplish."

    "The Long Death" is from Circles on the Water by Marge Piercy.
Copyright © 1982
    by Marge Piercy.
Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html