And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

FYI...........

http://www.nando.net/noframes/story/0,2107,61674-98073-699007-0,00.html

From: LAWRENCE SAMPSON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Chilean Indians complete anti-government protest march

Copyright &copy 1999 Nando Media
Copyright &copy 1999 Reuters News Service

SANTIAGO, Chile (June 19, 1999 2:16 p.m. EDT http://www.nandotimes.com) -
Disenchanted Mapuche Indians from southern Chile walked the final leg of a
420-mile protest march Saturday and prepared to participate in a
demonstration to demand more land and greater autonomy.

Nearly 100 Mapuches, a people who kept the Spanish conquistadors at bay in
southern Chile for three centuries, have been walking 24 days from the city
of Temuco in the heart of their ancestral lands.

The marchers were due to arrive on the outskirts of Santiago late Saturday
and planned to enter the capital on Sunday for a demonstration in the city
center, a spokesman for the Mapuche group Consejo de Todas Las Tierras said.

"We expect at least 1,000 in the demonstration on Sunday, probably more, in
support of the historic march that underlines our anti-government protest,"
the spokesman said.

The protest on Sunday will be capped by Mapuche dances and music as well as
speeches by Indian leaders to underscore their grievances against the
government.

Indigenous discontent has swollen in Chile in recent months, with numerous
illegal land seizures in southern Chile that have often turned into violent
clashes with police.

Mapuche leaders argue the government of President Eduardo Frei has not
fulfilled election promises of returning ancestral lands to the native
population, which is estimated to number nearly 1 million.

The government, restricted by limited funding, has acquired isolated tracts
of land and handed them over to indigenous communities in recent years.

But Mapuche leaders claim the land returned to Indian families has been
insufficient. As a result, Mapuches have called for the establishment of
their own parliament and greater autonomy from the central government.

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html