related links, thanks..Ish)

From:  David Rider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thanks for posting this, Mary. I'd be interested in your
take on the article, and anyone else's who has read it.

After all that's been written about this battle, they still
don't know what really happened and how it really
happened. Mainly because most of those who write
about it still won't talk to or take the Indian side of the
story seriously.

The article says there were some 2000 "warriors"
going up against Custer. Vine Deloria says if there
were that many men in the village, imagine the number
of women and children and old folks, and it would
have been so crowded they'd all smother each other.
Historians like to inflate the number of Indians when
it serves white interests (Custer was overwhelmed;
what could the poor boy do?). Just as they like to
deflate Indian numbers when that's in white interests
(there were only a million here in the first place, so
that's not such a big holocaust after all).

The article claims that Custer's poor judgment and
tactics were the result of his lack of sleep (30 hours
without a nap) and lack of food (he was cranky and
thoughtless coz he needed a peanut butter sandwich
or something). I've read that line of reasoning elsewhere;
some historians give credence to it. I don't. Custer
endured much worse hardship in Civil War battles
and his "judgment" was hailed as brilliant, although a
bit wreckless.

Regardless, it just seems to me that the author of this
article is looking for a way to explain how a white army -
presumed superior in every regard - could have been
routed by Indians. The only answer that occurs to the
author - and many historians - is of overwhelming
force against whites who were suffering hardship.

An alternate explanation: Custer and other Army officers,
George Crook and Lt. Reno included, assumed the
same things the author of this article assumes. They
were white, they were superior, Indians will see them
and run for their lives. It will be another massacre just
like the Army was so accustomed to inflicting on sleepy
Indian villages. They ignored their own scouts, Crows, who
told them very clearly what they were in for, and who were
so certain they would all die if they followed Custer's plan,
they "dressed" for death before going in.  And go in
they did: They charged into the Little Bighorn
and met some of the toughest, smartest, most
determined humans on the planet, who kicked some butt
and then went home.

A brief quote from the article:

"Standing virtually alone, on a dark and cold and moody late afternoon, a
vision flirts before my eyes, off in the distance, down there in the valley,
of an immense Indian village filled with exultant warriors celebrating a
great victory.

A haunting place."

I've been there myself. The only thing even remotely "haunting" about it
was the thought that after the battle, that "immense Indian village" would
be dispersed and starved off their homeland and the stragglers would
be herded into reservations like prisoners into concentration camps. Some
of the alleged "leaders" would be shipped all the way to Fort Marion in
Florida for brainwashing by the head Commandant in charge there, Pratt,
who would later go on to head up Carlisle Boarding School and employ
virtually the same tactics against children...*That* is haunting.

dave

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html