And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 13:59:37 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Lynne Moss-Sharman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Edmonton "Eskimos"

Monday, July 5, 1999

  Eskimos name called 'racist'

By DAVID SANDS, EDMONTON SUN A father of five from Eastern Canada wants to
punt the name of the Edmonton Eskimos into nothingness.

Bernie Adams, an Inuk man from Labrador, said he's festered for years at
the insult the name bears for him. And he doesn't want the next generation
similarly shamed.

"I don't want my children to grow up being called an Eskimo. It's racist."

Adams, a heavy equipment operator at a Quebec nickel mine who studied
anthropology at the University of Winnipeg, contends the word means "eater
of raw meat."

He's starting a campaign with letters to the club and the Canadian Football
League, hoping that will be enough to cause a change in the name that rankles.

"It offends me, my mom, my dad, my brothers and sisters."

It doesn't offend all Inuit, however. The team's home opener against the
B.C. Lions Friday will feature performances by Inuit drummers and dancers
from Inuvik.

And Dave Jamieson, director of communications and marketing, said the club
stands firm on its legendary name.

"Infrequently over the last several years this crops up. Usually it's one
person, they call the club and make their feelings known and that's the end
of it," Jamieson said.

But the Eskimos - formed in 1949 - have long been prepared to answer such
critics.

"I'm not surprised, given what's happened in the NFL with the Washington
Redskins, or the Cleveland Indians in baseball and other teams."

"What can I say but that the name will not change?

"It is a proper and correct description for people that live in that part
of the world.

"It is not racist or derogatory at all."

That, said Athabasca University professor Anne Nothof, is ultimately a
matter of opinion.

"It depends on who you talk to. It's the same as the word native: some
prefer aboriginal, others First Nations," while others say the only proper
term is the word the people use themselves, Nothof said. "Ask any group of
native people and you are going to get a different answer."

There is no consensus in either society or the Canadian literature she
teaches at the university. "We rarely hear it (Eskimo) anymore," Nothof
said, noting the meat-eater definition "has connotations of savagery."

However, she said, "when it's used as the name of a football team on which
there's not any Inuit players, it's kind of a cartoon-like association.

"It's not intended to be pejorative."

              "Let Us Consider The Human Brain As
               A Very Complex Photographic Plate"
                    1957 G.H. Estabrooks
                www.angelfire.com/mn/mcap/bc.html

                   FOR   K A R E N  #01182
                  who died fighting  4/23/99

                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      www.aches-mc.org
                        807-622-5407

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html
doctrine of international copyright law.
          Tsonkwadiyonrat (We are ONE Spirit)
                     Unenh onhwa' Awayaton
                  http://www.tdi.net/ishgooda/