And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:37:09 EDT
Subject: Mendota

Dear Friends, sorry I've been off the air for so long, this is again a very
busy time, I will try to fill you in.  Last Friday Leo and I attended a
public reception for the Federal Transit Authority held in Minneapolis,
this has to do with the light rail system that is to run adjacent to the
raod for most of the project.  I talked with a Mr. Gordon Lenton from the
FTA and expressed to him our concerns as Dakota people about the reroute
and the Berger report.  We have a report that we recieved recently that
does a very good job of critiquing Mr. Hotopps report, and shows how biased
this whole study was.  He has asked me to send this report along to his
office. Letters can be sent to Mr. Gordon J. Lenton, administrator, Federal
Transit Admintration, Dept. of Transporation, 400 7th St. S.W., #9328,
Washington, D.C.  20590, 202-366-4043 and also Mr. Joe Ettinger, Regional
Administrator, Dept of Transportation, 200 W. Adam St.  #2410, Chicago, Ill
60606,  312-353-2789, we will also be sending this report to many Federal
level as well as State level Officials, and will try to get this on one of
the Web sites or published in some way so everyone can see it.  Our
community also participated in Mendota Days last Saturday, this is one of
the oldest towns in Minnesota and is where many of our parents and
grandparents lived and are buried.  We had a float with dancers and a drum
group, also sold frybread, Indian tacos, corn, water and pop to help with
our fund raising efforts, also a very good friend and supporter played with
music with two others to help entertain people who came to see us and
support us.  It was alot of work, but we also enjoyed this day immensely.
 The preliminary report from Kelton Barr, who is the independent consultant
the the Watershed hired,  is ready and there is another meeting tonight,  I
will update you on the results after the meeting.   This Saturday there is
to be a picnic at Minnehaha Park by the pavilion for the stop the reroute
supporters, it will start at 1:00 PM, there will be speakers and
entertaiment,  everyone is welcome, please bring your own picnic, and
spread the word.  We are also planning a social Pow Wow at the site,
sometime in the 1st weeks of August,  I will let you know the details
later.    Some of the oral testimony that was recorded from the Elders and
others who came here to support us, and speak before MNDOT and Mr. Hotopp
will be played on public cable in Minneapolis, these are the dates, time
and channels.
Wednesday 7/28/99, 10:00PM Channels 58A and 36B, Thursday 8/5/99, 6PM,
channel 33, and 8/12/99, 5:30PM, channel 33, I have been told that 78,000
people may be watching these channels at any given time so this is great
exposure for this testimony supporting our stand on the sacredness of this
land.  If you would like to request that this be played at further dates
please contact John Akre at 612-331-8575 ext 312.  MNDOT has hired
McCrossan Construction Company to start the 1st phase of the road
construction and they have had surveyors out by the falls area to lay out
the road that will detour traffic from this area to I believe 34th ave.
some of our supporters have been picnicing and playing frisbee in this area
to try to detract the surveyors, we have now heard that McCrossan is hiring
private security[goon squads] in large numbers to move this project along.
Why are they so afraid of a few peaceful activists?   There is to be a
concert this Friday night [July 16th}at Walker Church is South Minneapolis,
 "Papa John Kolstad and Friends"  will be playing to raise money for the
Park and River Alliance and the Stop the Reroute coalition, they will ask
for a $10.00 dollar donation at the door.  this is a very worthy cause and
I hope many of you will come and enjoy this event with us.  The Mendota
recently recieved a donation of over $300.00 dollars,some folks held a
garage sell and sent the proceeds to us to help with our expenses for the
encampment and other expenses that we incurr in trying to get the word out
and fight this road.  This kind of grass roots support is so important to
us,  I wanted to thank all of you once again for all your support and
prayers. Pidamiya, Love Linda
Reprinted under the Fair Use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html