And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: Robert Eurich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

August 2, 1999 - Star Tribune
http://www2.startribune.com/stOnLine/cgi-bin/article?thisStory=80807864

<clipped excerpt>

Legislator wants Indian names outlawed

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- A legislator who wants the state to forbid public
schools from using American Indian nicknames keeps track of his campaign
by posting symbolic roses  on a wall chart in his office.

Rep. Frank Boyle has placed roses for 18 school districts that no longer
have Indian nicknames or logograms.

He uses bricks to designate more than 40 districts with nicknames that
he considers objectionable.

Boyle, D-Superior, is sponsoring legislation that would authorize the
state Department of Public Instruction to make school boards remove
offensive labels.

" A lot of communities do have a real attachment to these symbols, "
said J.P. Leary of the department' s American Indian Studies program.

" I believe people when they say they' re honoring native people. I also
believe the complainants when they talk about the effect it has on their
lives, " Leary said.

One of the latest changes was by the Milton School District. The debate
began in 1990 when Carol Hand, a Lac du Flambeau Chippewa, wrote a
letter of complaint to the school board.

She left Milton because of harassment, Leary said.

<end excerpt>
--
American Indian Sports Team Mascots
http://members.tripod.com/earnestman/1indexpage.htm

"Little drops of rain wear away the greatest of stones."

Show your ONElist SPIRIT!
http://www.onelist.com/store/tshirts.html
With a new ONElist SHIRT available through our website.

You are on the anti racism list to sub/unsub go to:
http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi?userinfo