And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 06:57:49 -0600
From: Paul Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Greetings from Knife Chief Community,
Brian Brademeyer of Sierra Club did a strong letter to Daschle that we
should take note of.  Point about SD environmental record needs to be
picked up by press and used in talking points.
```````````````````````````````
  From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Wed Aug  4 10:31:02 1999

BLACK HILLS GROUP
S I E R R A   C L U B
P.O. Box 1624
Rapid City, SD 57709
Tel: (605) 348-1345   Fax: (605) 348-1344

August 4, 1999
The Honorable Tom Daschle
United States Senate
Washington, DC 20510

Re: Support Repeal of the  "Mitigation Act"

Dear Tom:

The Black Hills Group of the Sierra Club strongly supports the repeal of the
so-called Missouri River "Mitigation" Act in the House version of the energy
and water development appropriations bill for FY'2000. We urge the Senate to
support this repeal in conference.

We strongly oppose the transfer of federal lands to the States, and
especially to the State of South Dakota, which has a dreadful environmental
record of managing its public lands (witness the logging of the Needles area
of Custer State Park, and the labelling of native pine beetles and prairie
dogs as "pests" to be exterminated).

Tom, we are shocked that this controversial measure was inserted by you into
the Omnibus Appropriations Act, without hearings and without ensuring
compliance with other federal laws (such as the Mni Wiconi Act). This land
transfer completely flouts the National Environmental Policy Act by
interfering in the ongoing EIS for the Corps of Engineers Master Manual for
the Missouri.  This is the type of dead-of-night special-interest rider that
we have come to expect from the anti-environmental Senators from Idaho and
Alaska. This Act, and the manner in which it has been promoted, is a
profound betrayal of the public interest of all Americans in our federal
public lands.

We strongly support the Oceti Sakowin Camp on La Framboise Island and the
Sioux Nation's claims of clear violations of their treaties with the US
Government. We urge you to withdraw your support for this indefensible land
transfer, and to support the oversight hearings requested by the Great Sioux
Nation on provisions of this Act that are in conflict with other laws and/or
in need of further clarification.  Please call for such hearings in the US
Senate.

Sincerely,

________________________________
Brian Brademeyer, Chair

~~~~~~~~~
Hi,
contact information for four key persons:

Packard, Ron CA, Republican
The Honorable Ron Packard
2372 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515-0548