And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: Pat Morris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Civil rights committee discuss local issues
http://www.msnbc.com/local/KNBN/21928.asp
The South Dakota Advisory Committee to the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights discussed
some local issues at a roundtable meeting Friday morning in Rapid City. Among them
were the recent deaths of two men on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. Shelby Baker
has more.

Emory Keoke, a concerned Rapid City resident is meeting with members of the commission
on civil rights about racism in South Dakota. Keoke is a consultant for the Community
Development Institute in Rapid City, and is trained to identify and combat racial
issues. Over the past few months, Keoke has collected newspaper articles looking at
the number of Native American related stories. He says the lack of articles are proof
that the media ignores Indian issues.

“There were only 13 stories on Native American Indians of that six positive stories
and 7 were negative but locally, no reporting of actual local events like Pine Ridge,
Sturgis or someplace else.” Elsie Meeks, of Interior, South Dakota was recently
appointed to serve on the commission. She says one of the biggest issues the board
members are currently looking into, is the recent murders of two Native Americans on
the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, near Whiteclay, Nebraska. Meeks says many Native
Americans who have held several rally’s at the Nebraska border over the past month
claim that the deaths have not been thoroughly investigated.

“From my talks with people across the reservation, they feel their issues aren’t
looked into at all, and feel powerless to do something about them.” Emory Keoke says
civil rights issues like those at Pine Ridge will continue until people take the first
step, and change their attitudes. “We stop using like them people to those people.
That’s the first step in stealing another persons humanity, once we steal their
humanity, we’re opening doors for violence.” The Commission on Civil Rights is an
independent, fact finding agency of the Federal Government, comprised of 8 members,
four appointed by the President and four appointed by Congress.