And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: "CATHERINE DAVIDS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:17:48 EDT
Subject: Re: Michigan Commission on Indian Affairs

Please print this petition and remove all e-mail references.  Sign your
name and send the completed petition to:
North American Indian Association
22720 Plymouth Road
Detroit, Michigan  48239

I am a resident of the State of Michigan and I disagree with Governor
John Engler's decisions to abolish the Michigan Commission on Indian
Affairs.  MCIA should continue to operate and serve the American
Indian community.  The MCIA was established by former Governor
George Romney in order to respond to abuses and neglect of American
Indian people within the State of Michigan.  Today MCIA fields
hundreds of calls, makes referrals, publishes an important state-wide
magazine, and informs the public about state and federal legislation.
The MCIA also addresses critical cultural issues and advocates for both
urban and reservation Indians.  The Governor proposes that the
Michigan Department of Civil Rights handles a few of the programs but
neglects to address even the majority of the 50 programs that the MCIA
currently runs.  American Indian people will suffer because their needs
will not be met under Engler's proposed change.  Furthermore, to date,
only one American Indian has ever been appointed to the Department
of Civil Rights and she served in 1991.

LEAVE THE COMMISSION ALONE.

Signed

MICHIGAN INDIAN RALLY

Lansing Capital Steps
October 12, 1999
9:30 a.m. until Noon

The injustices of the past are history, the injustices of today are our
responsibility...to stand up and shine light on the shadows: let our
voices be heard.

Protest Engler's Blatant Attack on Michigan Indians

Tell everyone you know to come and support Michigan Indians.

For more information attend planning meetings every Wednesday
evening before rally date from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. at the North American
Indian Association of Detroit

or contact Anita @ 248-852-8387 or [EMAIL PROTECTED]