And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

mary M contributes:

Ponca hold seminar on diabetes awareness
BY JODI RAVE Lincoln Journal Star
http://www.journalstar.com/stories/neb/sto4 (entire story at this link)

The Ponca Tribe of Nebraska conducted an awareness seminar in Lincoln
Thursday to educate the American Indian community about health care issues,
specifically emphasizing the tribe's new diabetes prevention program.

The Ponca recently received a five-year, $540,000 Indian Health Service grant
to operate its Diabetes Control Program, which began offering services this
month.

"I need to learn more about diabetes," said Norma Good Teacher, a Santee
tribal member who attended the health seminar. "My mom's a diabetic, and it's
possible I might inherit it." Statistics show 1 in 5 American Indians has
diabetes, compared with 1in 20 in the general U.S. population. <SNIP>