And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kathy Kern, Rochester, NY)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 13:19:36 CDT
Subject: SOUTH DAKOTA/D.C.: Sacred Fire Alarms DC Park Police
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CPTnet
September 20, 1999
SOUTH DAKOTA/WASHINGTON, DC: Sacred Fire Alarms DC Park Police

A fire engine and four park police cars pulled up to the painted black
pick-up truck carrying the Oceti Sakowin (First of Seven Council Fires) fire
Wednesday, raising a minor ruckus on the Washington, DC, Mall.

  Fire-fighters and officers got out of the truck and squad cars and came to
inspect the smoke issuing out of a stovepipe from the back of the pick-up.

The Lakota and Dakota elders and young people rallied, concerned about
whether the fire-fighters would try to put out the Sacred Fire which had led
them all the way to Washington. Women wearing shawls and skirts gathered
around a yellow banner saying "Treaty Rights are Human Rights; Uphold the
Fort Laramie Treaty."

As one man sang to the beat of a hand drum, Lakota youth in baggy pants and
sweatshirts held up hand-lettered signs reading, "We are the Seventh
Generation of which Black Elk spoke and we want our land back,"  "One does
not sell the land on which the people walk" (a quotation from Crazy Horse),
and "Senator Daschle, you can't have our land or our water."

One fire-fighter quipped, "You want to get arrested."

An incoming hurricane caused a constant drizzle during the
morning and afternoon, as people came and went to meetings with legislative
assistants to discuss the violation of their
treaties.  The previous (sunny) day, elders and youth of the
Sioux Nation had passed out leaflets.   But by the time the fire truck,
sirens blaring, pulled up beside the small pick-up,
spirits were a little bedraggled.

As the firemen inspected the woodstove and pipe carrying smoke out the back
end, a few umbella-carrying tourists stopped to watch the action.  A nearby
bus driver snapped his own photos. When the fire-fighters learned that there
was a fire extinguisher in case of emergency, they said that everything was
up to code and left.

Christian Peacemaker Teams is an initiative among Mennonite and Church of
the Brethren congregations and Friends Meetings that supports violence
reduction efforts around the world. Contact CPT at  P. O. Box 6508 Chicago,
IL 60680  Tel: 312-455-1199 Fax: 312-666-2677; E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To join
CPTNET, our e-mail network, fill out the form found on our WEB page at
http://www.prairienet.org/cpt/