And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 01:17:38 -0500
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Annan vows that U.N. will cross borders to intervene

Can we now say "Here comes the U. N. to Indian Country"? I notice he states
"-- should not be allowed to stand" and did not state "Shall not be allowed
to stand".

Just a little use of the word may and the mandatory command of the word shall.

Jim Oyler

Annan vows that U.N. will cross borders to intervene
http://www.washtimes.com/news/news2.html
By Betsy Pisik
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
NEW YORK
Leaders of the United Nations warned at yesterday's opening of the U.N.
General Assembly that national borders will no longer be a deterrent to
justified humanitarian intervention.
      Traditional considerations of national sovereignty will no longer be
taken into account, Kofi Annan, secretary-general of the U.N., told the
opening session of the 188-member world body. Governments must not allow
divisions within the Security Council to derail legitimate intervention in
places such as Rwanda and Kosovo, he said.
      "If states bent on criminal behavior know that frontiers are not an
absolute defense, if they know that the Security Council will take action
to halt crimes against humanity, then they will not embark on such a course
of action in expectations of sovereign impunity," he said.
      "Massive and systematic violations of human rights -- wherever they
may take place -- should not be allowed to stand."
      Traditional talk of human rights, globalization and conflict
resolution took on new immediacy against the backdrop of civilian
atrocities in Kosovo and in East Timor, where U.N. troops, mostly
Australian, began
-- Continued from Front Page --
arriving yesterday.
      Leaders of several nations -- including France, Britain, Norway, South
Africa and Tanzania --largely agreed with that view at the opening session
of the two-week opening debate of the U.N. General Assembly.
      However, the newly elected president of Algeria, Abdelaziz Bouteflika,
denounced international interference without the consent of a government.
      "We remain extremely sensitive to any undermining of our sovereignty,
not only because sovereignty is our final defense against the rules of an
unequal world," said Mr. Bouteflika, "but because we are not taking part in
the decision-making process by the Security Council."
      Mr. Bouteflika was speaking in his capacity of head of government as
well as the current president of the Organization of African Unity.
      President Clinton, by tradition the second speaker on the opening day,
postponed his appearance until today in deference to the Jewish high holy
day Yom Kippur. The U.N. declined to move the opening day of the debate to
accommodate the Jewish holiday.
      The leaders of Cambodia, Bangladesh, Namibia, Georgia, Jordan, El
Salvador and Ivory Coast also spoke yesterday, often at considerable
length. Although this two-week session is usually referred to as the
General Debate, there is little direct engagement on the issues.
      France, traditionally one of the most supportive U.N. members, called
for an expansion of the organization's role to prevent human rights
violations.
      "The United Nations' mission is not limited to the settlement of
conflicts between states," Lionel Jospin, the prime minister of France,
said. "With man's growing aspirations for greater freedom and
responsibility, its mission extends to the protection of human dignity,
within each state and, when necessary -- as the Charter allows --against
states."
      Denouncing "state-instigated violence," Mr. Jospin urged his
colleagues to "uphold the principle of international intervention under
U.N. auspices, to assist the victims."
      Robin Cook, Britain's foreign secretary, echoed Mr. Jospin's sentiments.
      "We have a shared responsibility to act also when confronted with
genocide, mass displacement of people or major breaches of international
humanitarian law. To know that such atrocities are being committed and not
to act against them is to make us complicit in them."
      He reaffirmed Britain's commitment to contribute British police
officers to U.N. forces.
      But Portuguese President Jorge Fernando Branco de Sampaio spoke with
evident sadness of the havoc wrought on his nation's former colony, East
Timor, and blamed the United Nations for not protecting the people who it
had encouraged to decide their own future.
      "The very credibility of the U.N. itself was as stake," he said. "How
could the United Nations, having organized the popular consultation, betray
the confidence placed in it by the people of East Timor?
      The United Nation's authorization of the Australian-led peacekeeping
force in East Timor "shows to the world that the council does not remain
indifferent to challenges to its authority, nor does it allow them to go
unanswered."
      South African President Thabo Mbeki called on the organization to
undertake swifter preventive action, in keeping with Article 1 of the U.N.
Charter.
      "This imposes a solemn and supreme responsibility on the United
Nations to work for the prevention of conflicts, and to endeavor to resolve
them so that durable peace can be established," he said.
      Among the other speeches yesterday:

•Colombian President Andres Pastrana urged a unified global opposition to
narcotics.
•Sheik Hasina, prime minister of Bangladesh, linked development with peace,
and urged Western nations to increase their support for U.N. agencies.
•Pal Chaudhry, prime minister of Fiji, called for a greater global
commitment to sustainable development.
•Cambodia's Hun Sen called for more assistance for the developing world and
lifting the American embargo against Cuba.