And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Tuesday 21 September 1999
Onus falls on 'white' society for First Nations' devastation
http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion/stories/990921/2887188.html
It's time to do something that will make a difference
Catherine Ford, Calgary Herald

Somewhere between the myth of the mighty savage and the stereotype of the drunken
Indian lies the reality and the fate of Canada's aboriginal peoples.

I don't presume to have any answers, but I will presume, as should all Canadians, that
at the heart of the sorry state of too many First Nations reserves lies the attitude
of non-aboriginal Canadians, the paternalism of the federal government and the
intransigence of the provinces.

No one will accept blame. No one will actually do anything that might make a
difference.

It's not that research and recommendations are missing. The pile of papers and reports
on the "state" of aboriginal communities would fill a good-sized warehouse -- which is
where most of them are gathering dust, including it seems, the 1996 final massive
report of the Royal Commission on Aboriginal People.

Last week's devastating report by Alberta Judge John Reilly on the suicide of a
teenage aboriginal boy, and a new book by Trent University's John S. Milloy on the
residential school system, entitled A National Crime, are only the latest.

How weighty does the pile become before every Canadian with a heart and a conscience
is embarrassed into action?

Or can we continue to plead ignorance of the devastation in aboriginal communities?

How can anyone deny the elephant in the living room?

Reilly's report blames the teen's death on "vested interests" in the Stoney Reserve
west of Calgary who diverted money meant for social programs in order to control their
people.

The boy's death was caused, said Reilly, by a serious of institutional failures that
left him with no place to go for help. And so he killed himself.

He's not the first.

The list is embarrassingly long.

What would our reaction have been if 120 residents of the small town of Claresholm had
died in drug- and alcohol-related deaths in the past decade? Yet 120 did die in a
similar-sized Stoney community of just over 3,000. Our outrage has been conspicuous in
its absence.

We didn't set out to destroy the people who were here before us. But we nearly
succeeded through paternalism, ignorance and abuse. Complicit in the destruction were
residential schools whose systemic pattern of abuse -- physical, emotional and sexual
-- left a legacy of bitterness that has never been resolved. The residential schools
tried to "kill the Indian" in the Indian child and just about succeeded. Period.

Yet it was all meant benignly: a process of good intentions, writes Milloy, rooted in
the need for education among aboriginal peoples.

What they got instead was a nightmare.

The system meant to civilize First Nations was, says Milloy, "the most damaging of the
many elements of Canada's colonization of this land's original people."

We can only surmise the situation is so overwhelming -- the reality of poverty,
starvation and despair in the midst of the plenty that is this country, so alien --
and the "cure" so expensive no one will take responsibility for what is necessary.

Maybe we don't even know what is necessary, although a host of studies has clearly
shown that the template of "white" society laid over an aboriginal one has spawned a
disaster of epic proportions.

Natives must dance a gavotte between the present and the past, between needing to be
members of a larger society in which we all share and the tribal society of which they
are rightful members.

It's not a choice many of us want or need to make. Multiculturalism permits a citizen
to do both -- be Canadian and something else, claim all the rights and privileges of
citizenship and celebrate another heritage, be protected from discrimination based on
ethnic background and participate fully in the life of the larger Canadian community.

Such rights apply to every Canadian except, it seems, the first Canadians. We begrudge
them the rights and abilities to do what every other Canadian believes to be a
birthright.

On the door of my office is a sign: Stay Calm. Be Brave. Wait for the Signs. It's the
sign-off for the scathingly ironic -- and deeply funny -- series of radio sketches
from the pen of Thomas King called The Dead Dog Cafe Comedy Hour. It's a great recipe
for dealing with life's vicissitudes.

Certainly Canada's natives have, for the large part, stayed calm. They've been brave
in the face of racism and discrimination that puts them on the bottom rung of urban
society.

And the signs? Courts have identified native rights as among the chief issues we face
in the next century.

Only a cynic would believe we would continue to ignore the obvious.

Catherine Ford can be reached by e-mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED]