And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:11:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mark Little <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [nativeamericanlaw] Canadian Indians win interim land rights victory

    CANADA: September 29, 1999

    VANCOUVER - A British Columbia judge handed Indian tribes a
    potentially significant victory in the battle over their rights to
    natural resources in timber and mineral-rich western Canada.

    Supreme Court judge William Davies said the province cannot proceed
    with a stop-logging order against Westbank First Nation without also
    resolving the issue of whether the tribe has a constitutional right to
    resources in its historic territory.

    Although the order is only the first step in what will likely be a
    lengthy legal battle, it is the latest in a series of court victories
    for Indians as they press for greater control over their historic
    lands in Canada.

    "It is exactly what we wanted," said Chief Ron Derrickson, of the
    Westbank band, which is located in the Okanagan Region of central
    British Columbia near Kelowna.

    Provincial officials went to court against the band when aboriginal
    loggers began cutting trees without a permit on public-owned land
    within what the Westbank people consider their historic territory.

    Westbank leaders said they were forced to begin logging because of a
    lack of progress in negotiations for land rights treaties. It is one
    of more than 40 Indian groups in British Columbia involved in such
    negotiations.

    The question of Indian land rights has been largely unresolved in
    British Columbia since Europeans began arriving in the 1800s, and the
    issue is seen as casting a cloud of uncertainty over the province's
    resource-dependent economy.

    A spokesman for the B.C. Forestry Ministry said the province and
    federal governments had been negotiating about land rights in good
    faith, and needed to study Monday's ruling before deciding what to do
    next.

    Like the United States and Australia, Canada has long struggled with
    how to balance aboriginal and non-native rights.

    Natives also scored a victory on Sept. 17, when Canada's Supreme Court
    said tribes that had signed treaties with England did not break the
    law by fishing for profit without the required modern-day licenses.

    Derrickson said he would consult with other Native groups also
    considering logging before deciding on Davies' request for a voluntary
    suspension of tree-cutting until the legal issues are resolved.

    "The First Nations (Indians) are part of British Columbia too, and
    we've been lied to for years and years and years and my responsibility
    is to them not to this judge," Derrickson said.

    Story by Allan Dowd

    REUTERS NEWS SERVICE