And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Sent by Jim Oyler..thanks,,Ish
http://www.newsday.com/ap/rnmpwh1c.htm
More Diversity at Court Called For

By PAUL SHEPARD Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Supreme Court would be found guilty of
discrimination if it were a private company, the president of the NAACP
said Monday as he and others representing minorities and women's groups
urged greater diversity in the justices' hiring of law clerks.

``We don't come here asking for quotas. We want equal opportunity,'' said
NAACP President Kweisi Mfume, who was joined at a news conference by
members of Hispanic, American Indian, Asian and women's legal groups.

``People of good will understand this hypocrisy must end on the Supreme
Court,'' Mfume said as the court began its new term. ``If the court were a
private company, it would have been found guilty long ago of racial
discrimination.''

Lawrence Baca, president of the Native American Bar Association, said that
though the Supreme Court has never had a Native American clerk, his people
are disproportionately affected by high court decisions involving tribal
lands.

``You tell us how high the bar is and we will find you a native American
law student who will top that bar,'' Baca said.

The call for more diversity among law clerks comes at a time when the class
of clerks has more black and brown faces than any other in recent memory.

Among the new class of 35 law clerks working for the highest court's nine
justices are five minority clerks -- two blacks and three Asian-Americans.
Last year's class included one, a Hispanic.

But Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr., D-Ill., said the justices could easily slip
again into all-white hiring patterns. ``We should not annually rely on good
faith efforts of individual justices,'' Jackson said.

Prior to this year's class, of the 428 clerks hired over time by the nine
current justices, less than 2 percent have been black, 1 percent were
Hispanic and less than 5 percent Asian-American.

Those statistics led to a noisy protest last year on the court's front
steps during which 19 people were arrested.

Chief Justice William Rehnquist is again being asked to meet with coalition
members to discuss the situation. Last year, Rehnquist rebuffed a similar
meeting request.

Supreme Court clerks wield influence in discussions with justices on
pending cases and crafting early drafts of opinions. And since many court
rulings affect racially charged issues such as affirmative action and
immigration rights, civil rights advocates say greater input from
minorities is needed for fairness.

AP-NY-10-04-99 1541EDT