And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

from Elsbeth Vocat via warriornet
Subject:  WG99: Statement of the Navajo Nation
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:43:09 +0200
From:  "Condori" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

October 20, 1999
Fifth Intersessional Working Group

Statement of the Navajo Nation

Mr. Chairman, my delegation congratulates you on your election as
chairman of the Working Group and for the accomplishments made
yesterday.

I am here today as a delegate from the government of the Navajo Nation.
As a government, I hope we can dialogue on a government to government
basis.

The Navajo Nation entered into a treaty with the United States in 1868
which was ratified by the US Senate. The language in the treaty refers
to our people as a "Nation". By this action, the US chose to relate to
my people as a Nation on a equal footing with the US government.
Inherent in the treaty of 1868 is the concept of self-determination.

The Navajo Nation supports and finds essential to the Draft Declaration
on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples the concept of self-determination.
In our view, self-determination is the linch-pin or foundation upon
which all other rights rests. Without self-determination Indigenous
peoples cannot exercise, in a meaningfull manner, their rights to
practice their religion, their rights to live in harmony in their lands
and territories and the right to develop and control their natural
resources, among other rights.

Without self-determination the exercise of these other rights will be
difficult at best and to our people meaningless. The position of the US
as express here with respect to sef-determination actually makes a step
backward from its official position taken within its borders. The Navajo

Nation does exercise  self-determinatin in accordance  with
international and United States laws. The Navajo Nation has its own
police force, its own courts and legal system, a three branch government

including a legislature which enacts laws  for  the general benefit of
the Navajo people.

The continued resistence by the US and other countries to the concept of

self-determination is an effort designed to erect an artificial barrier
between domestic and international law. The past assertion that US
domestic law would preclude ratification by the US Senate is false. This

is specially significant in light of the Indian Self-Determination Act
adopted by the US Congres which affirms the right of Indian people to
self-determination. More recently, the Native American Housing
Assistance and Self-Determination Act of 1996 reaffirmed the US
congressional policy of Indian self-determination.

Domestic law should not limit the development of international laws. Our

examination of US laws does not reveal any law that would specifically
bar the adoption of the Draft Declaration. In our view, the US decision
to adopt the Draft Declaration in its current form should be guided by
policy considerations rather than misguided and illusionary legal basis.

This view is consistent with the recognized government to government
relationship existing between the US and Indian nations.

The concern that self-determination includes the right of secession is
understandable but should not hinder further discussions. As we
previously stated, secession is likely not a viable option for most
Indignous peoples. It is the Navjo Nation's interest to have the US
honor its treaties to to the fullest extent. We must remember that we
are trying to obtain concensus on a draft declaration that would
recognize these rights. The recognition of this right and other
associated rights will mark a big step in the way Indigenous Peoples are

treated and probably lessen any efforts to secede. The alternative is
frightening. Denial of the right of self-determination and other rights
may only lead to the extinction of Indigenous Peoples.

Mr. Chairman, the Navajo Nation challenges the states and particularly,
the US, why they fear recognizing the inherent right of
self-determination that Indigenous peoples posses in concrete terms so
that we may respond.

However, before I end, I want to take this opportunity to comment on a
statement made by the United States, in particular, the continued
reference to Indian nations as member of "particular groups within an
existing state". We interpret this statement as reflecting the position
that Indian Nations are minorities or private associations. This
position was rejected by the United States Supreme Court where it held
that Indian nations were more than mere minorities or private
associations and that the relationship between the United States and
Indian nations was a political relationship on a government to
government basis.

Finally, the US Congres recently suspendet any further
self-determination contracts which prevents Indian Nations from assuming

federal responsibilities towards Indian peoples. Therefore, it is not
entirely accurate in the US statement to assert that it manages its
"governmental programs in ways that promote tribal self-determination".

Thank you, Mr. Chaiman.