And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

ICT BRIEFS:
http://WWW.INDIANCOUNTRY.COM/headlines.html
Doctor says IHS ignored measures to save lives
     By Brenda Norrell
     Today staff
PHOENIX, Ariz. - Tim Strand, medical doctor and registered dietician, says Indian
Health Service ignored measures that could have saved the lives of pregnant Indian
women who died from eclampsia while giving birth. While working as a medical doctor
for the IHS in Whiteriver, Dr. Strand had evidence proving that pregnant women could
reduce the risks of pre-eclampsia, caused by high blood pressure, by increasing their
intake of calcium. Since most Indian women are lactose-intolerant, Dr. Strand proposed
a program to make non-lactose milk available to pregnant women in the White Mountain
Apache community. "We had the highest rate of pre-eclampsia in the world," Dr. Strand
said of the condition that leads to eclampsia, a form of toxemia during pregnancy
Armed with research from Johns Hopkins University, revealing calcium decreased the
death rate from pre-eclampsia, he gained support for a demonstration project from the
White Mountain Apache Tribal Council. "The Indian Health Servi!
!
ce i
gnored it. We still have women in Whiteriver dying of eclampsia," Dr. Strand said.
<><<<<<<

Our Millennium - A look back at the last 100 years
The 1900s have been a time of incredible change in the lives of Native peoples. As we
near the end of this century and the beginning of a new millennium, we look back on
some of the significant moments of the last hundred years. This week Indian Country
Today begins a series of features that highlight important events and individuals from
the past century. The series will look at a decade every week for the next 10 weeks
and provide a timeline that eventually covers the entire century. As with all projects
covering such a massive period of time, it is more than likely we will have missed key
events. We encourage all our readers to send us letters or e-mails detailing important
moments from the last 100 years from their perspective.
<><<<<<<<<<<<

Saginaw election offers no surprises
     By David Melmer
     Today staff
MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. - The people of the Saginaw Chippewa Tribe spoke with the
ballot, repeating what they said in the last five elections. After the Oct. 12, 1999
primary election ballots from the main, Isabella District, were counted, 10 of the 20
people who will be on the general election ballot had been there four times before.
They were elected to the council in November 1997 but did not begin serving until Aug.
10, 1999. They now sit as an interim council after former council members voided four
other elections to remain in power. The interim council, ordered seated by Assistant
Secretary for Indian Affairs Kevin Gover, served only two months and the most
important decision they made was to hold another election ‹ the fifth in two years,
Nov. 2. The previous council headed by Kevin Chamberlain voided the November 1997
general election with the claim that some people voted in the wrong district.
<><<<<<<<<<<<

Home again - Oglala Park dedication
     Still healing from tornado's wrath
     By David Melmer
     Today staff
OGLALA, S.D. - Chilly autumn winds greeted many people who gathered to dedicate a
mobile home park that will house many families that lost homes during the hot summer
because of a tornado. Yet the cold weather did not soften the spirits of those who
were present to dedicate the Jonas Belt Jr. mobile home park named in memory of the
only person killed in the June 4 tornado. Forty-three mobile homes are located in the
specially designed park to provide homes for many families left homeless in this
remote village on the Pine Ridge Reservation.
<><<<<<<

Shortbull off to Miss U.S.A Pageant
     By David Melmer
     Today staff
RAPID CITY, S.D. ­ Vanessa Shortbull will represent the state of South Dakota at the
Miss U.S.A. Pageant in February. Vanessa, an Oglala Lakota, dazzled ballet audiences
with her performances from Utah to South Dakota.
<><<<<<<

Weaving for life: Gathering connects tradition
     Story and photos by Amanda Siestreem
     Today correspondent
Tucked away in the quiet, fog-draped foothills of the Cascades, 400 basket weavers
from Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, British Columbia and southeast Alaska
gathered for a weekend on the Lummi Reservation. The impact of so many traditional
people, quietly chatting and working on their baskets, in the awesome setting of the
Lummi Wex-li-em Frog House, gave each new arrival a moment of pause at the front door.
For many, the Northwest Native American Basketweavers Association has been a breath of
hope.
        <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<><<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Local Native American wants some control
http://www.fox7.blackhills.com/news6.htm
     Lakota Treaty Chief, Richard Grass, brought up an issue at Tuesday's
     mornings meeting. He alleges that Indians are treated unfairly in Rapid
     City. He said he thinks a Native American should represent the local
     and state government.
     The commission along with Sheriff Holloway will discuss the issue at
     next week's meeting.

     Story by: Christa Irvin

http://www.billingsgazette.com/wyoming/991028_wyo08.html

Centuries old Crow teepee rings found near Ucross

UCROSS (AP) - High on a bluff overlooking Piney Creek near here rings of
rocks mark the site of a Crow Indian encampment last occupied between 200
to 300 years ago.

  ........."This would have been a lookout point for the young men of the tribe,"
explained Crow Cultural Director Burton Pretty On Top, Sr.

Pretty On Top visited the site this week at the request of the Ucross
Foundation and ranch, where the rings were found, to hopefully provide
information about the rings.

"The main camp would have been down in the valley near Piney Creek and the
young men would have been up here too lookout for approaching Sioux or
Cheyenne," Pretty On Top said.

About 12 people, including artists in residence at the Ucross Foundation
and members of the Ucross Foundation staff, also visited the site Tuesday.

Ucross Foundation President Elizabeth Guheen said the foundation and ranch
will further analyze the site and work to locate other Native American
artifacts areas on the ranch.

The evidence of the camp is five or six rings of lichen-covered rocks, each
ring about 12- or 14-feet in diameter and scattered over the top of a grass
and sagebrush covered bluff about 500 feet above the Piney Creek valley.

A few rings contained smaller fire rings of rocks inside the main rings.
<><<<<<