And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 19:41:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Eugene Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Those Damned Dams

THOSE DAMN DAMS

by Eugene Johnson
(He Who Laughs A Lot)

This is how I see it all starting...

White Americans looked at the beautiful wild Che Wana
(Columbia River) and all its power to provide for the
people, then looked to god and said, "god, you did
good work here. It's really nice. But god, you just
didn't do it well enough. Let me show you how you
should have done it to make it really provide for the
people." Since then, they have dammed and built
industries that have made the Columbia River the most
endangered river in the United States and the second
most radioactive river in the world.

In the Sunday Oregonian of November 7, there appeared
one article and one opinion piece about why the dams
shouldn't be breached.

The article, authored by Jonathan Brinckman and Jim
Barnett, states that "government scientists have spent
three years studying whether breaching four dams on
the lower Snake River would be the best way to save
endangered salmon." Until the federal government got
involved and dammed and polluted the Columbia, the
river was a great provider for all the people. The
federal government does not care about its people,
they care about amassing more wealth for the already
wealthy. It is the wealthy that have the ear of our
government, not the poor who cannot contribute as much
to political campaigns. Since it is a study paid for
by the government, and the government is owned by the
wealthy, does this study benefit all the people or
only the wealthy? The wealthy, of course.

Who are the people most interested in keeping the
dams? The energy corporations and the Department of
Energy. Why? Because it adds to their wealth. Is
saving the salmon something the energy corporations
and the Department of Energy really care about? No,
because saving salmon does not create wealth for the
status quo. Who do the power corporations answer to?
Their stockholders. What do their stockholders want?
Maximum profits for the short term investment. Who
does the Department of Energy answer to? Energy
corporations. Basically, saving salmon does not create
wealth for those who already have wealth. America
prays to but one god, the Almighty Dollar.

The article states that the Army Corps of Engineers
and the Bonneville Power Administration support this
study. The BPA senior policy advisor, Lorraine Bodi,
is one of the authors. Whose interests do you think
she had in mind when helping create this study: the
people, or the energy corporations?

The study is cleverly called the "4H Paper," making
reference to: harvest, hatcheries, habitat and
hydroelectric power. Of course, "4H" is also a youth
agricultural education organization. A clever
manipulation on the part of America's corporate
propagandists. It makes it all sound so nice and
pretty, doesn't it?

Other industries opposed to salmon recovery are:
logging, because it would restrict their "logging to
infinity" policy (James Watt, former Secretary of the
Interior, stated in the '80's that the "rapture" is
coming so we need to clear cut for profit now); the
cattle industry, whose grazing practices destroy
habitat; developers, who want to leave no stretch of
land untouched; farmers, who would have to extend
their irrigation pumps to reach the lowered river; and
chemical companies, who make environmentally damaging
household cleansers, the use of which may soon be
limited in cities whose drainage goes into the
Columbia River.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it seems
Americans think of themselves as too stupid to come up
with ways to survive and make money in a sound and
self-sustaining environment.

The opinion piece in the paper makes several ironic
statements. It tells us in the first paragraph the dam
breaching "may not be the best way to save salmon,"
and in the second paragraph it states that the nine
agencies that authored the "4H Paper" say that it's
not the only method. Minor, yes, but listen to
paragraph two: "the Snake River dams, while
responsible for salmon mortality, are not the
fish-killing fields that many claim." What is he
saying? Dams are responsible for killing salmon, but
they aren't responsible for killing salmon? Yes, he
killed many unarmed people on his shooting spree, but
that doesn't make him a murderer...

In four recently published Oregonian articles,
"environmental terrorism" was used to describe people
who want to save some of the natural world for the
future of the planet and its people. "Environmental
heroes" are industries that destroy the environment to
amass wealth for the few at the expense of the many.
I'm told there was no mention of clearcutting,
radioactive rivers, industrial pollution, overgrazing,
pesticides that cause cancer, etc. in these articles
(I couldn't stomach reading the corporate propaganda
myself).

What this study actually does is continue to table the
discussion of salmon recovery while corporations
continue to rape our mother earth for maximum profit.
When the salmon are extinct in the Snake River, the
corporations will point their propagandist finger at
the tribes and environmentalists. The corporate
mouthpieces will likely say that if it wasn't for the
salmon-huggers, the salmon would have survived, even
though it's corporate activities that caused the
extinction of the salmon in the first place. It is
corporate waffling and tabling of the discussion that
has delayed the implementation of any kind of real
recovery plan. Since corporations largely control the
media, they will convince most Americans that their
version of reality is true. Corporate interests will
continue to erode support for the environmentalists
and go virtually unchallenged in their rape and
destruction of our mother earth for maximum short-term
profits.

One has to ask: when the earth can no longer sustain
life because of our actions, what will our children
eat, drink, and breathe? Do we care?

After all, everything is fine for me right now.
Besides, it was only true that god didn't know how to
provide for the people and we had to teach god the
truth and the error of his ways. (I hope you are aware
that I am being facetious.)

As Sherman Alexie reminds us in his poem "Prophecy:"
"This is not the river we were promised."

=====
Copyright ©1999 Eugene D. Johnson. All rights reserved. Permission is granted to
redistribute this message, with this proviso attached.