From: "Monroe Gilmour" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Friends concerned about use of American Indian mascots" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: jaceweaverreport (http://www.main.nc.us/wncceib/jaceweaverreport.htm)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 15:23:59 -0500

November 15, 1999
SUJBECT:  Report to U.S. Justice Dept. by Dr. Jace Weaver of Yale University on sacred American Indian imagery used offensively at Clyde A. Erwin High School in Asheville, North Carolina

Friends,
    The link you receive with this message is for the full report of Dr. Jace Weaver of Yale University regarding his U.S. Justice Department sponsored site visit to Erwin High School in Asheville, North Carolina.
    His visit resulted from a March 4, 1999 agreement between the U.S. Justice Dept. and the Buncombe Co. (NC) Public Schools that included eliminating the 'squaw' mascot for female athlethes at the school, adding diversity materials to the system's 37 schools, and "permanently removing" from Erwin High School items determined to be religious in nature to American Indians and thus offensive when used in a secular high school sports context.  As you will see, the report vindicates the Buncombe County Intertribal Association's long-time claim that the offensive use of sacred American Indian imagery is pervasive throughout the school.  Dr. Weaver's report concludes:  "The overall effect is one which I believe would be offensive to many Native American persons and would serve to create a hostile environment at the school."
    It was reported November 12 on local television news that the Buncombe Co. Public Schools' Superintendent stated that the Board of Education "wants a second opinion," an option not included in the March 4 agreement.  If after reading the report you want to send your thoughts on the Board's position to the Superintendent, there is a link added to the report from which you can send an email.  We hope that you will cc or bcc your comments to our email link, also also added to the report.
    Thank you and may this report be useful to communities across the country working to end racism in the public schools by eliminating American Indian sports mascots, an important contributing factor to that problem.
Best wishes,
Monroe Gilmour, Coordinator
Western North Carolina Citizens For An End To Institutional Bigotry
PO Box 18640
Asheville, NC 28814
828-669-6677
828-669-8862 fax
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.main.nc.us/wncceib/

http://www.main.nc.us/wncceib/jaceweaverreport.htm

<<<<=-=-=                                  =-=-=>>>>
"We simply chose an Indian as the emblem.
 We could have just as easily chosen any
uncivilized animal."
  Eighth Grade student writing about his school's
  mascot, 1997

<<<<=-=  http://www.tdi.net/ishgooda/racial/  =-=>>>>

IF it says:
"PASS THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW...."
Please Check it before you send it at:

http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/library/blhoax.htm

<<<<=-=-=FREE LEONARD PELTIER!!!=-=-=>>>>