And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

From: Cyd Crue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ACADEMICS TO BOYCOTT ILLINOIS

The American Anthropological Association (AAA) made their voices heard this weekend at
the Chicago Hilton as they called upon all educators and administrators of educational
institutions to stop promoting the stereotypical representation of American Indian
people through the use of sports mascots.  During the annual business meeting, members
of AAA voted unanimously to recommend to the Board of Directors that the Association
cease to schedule Annual Meetings in the State of Illinois until such time as the
administration and trustees of the University of Illinois, the flagship educational
institution of the state, replace their “Chief Illiniwek” symbol with one that does
not promote inaccurate, anachronistic, and damaging stereotypes of Native American
people.  AAA members state that the persistence of such officially sanctioned,
stereotypical presentations humiliate American Indian people, trivialize the
scholarship of anthropologists, undermine the learning environment for al!
!
l st
udents, and seriously compromise efforts to promote diversity on school and college
campuses.

<<<<=-=-=                                  =-=-=>>>>
"We simply chose an Indian as the emblem.
  We could have just as easily chosen any
uncivilized animal."
   Eighth Grade student writing about his school's
   mascot, 1997

<<<<=-=  http://www.tdi.net/ishgooda/racial/  =-=>>>>

IF it says:
"PASS THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW...."
Please Check it before you send it at:

http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/library/blhoax.htm

<<<<=-=-=FREE LEONARD PELTIER!!!=-=-=>>>>