Posted by [EMAIL PROTECTED] :

From: "chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Wednesday 24 November 1999  The Canadian Press
'Disgusted' Ramsay denies rape
by MARTIN O’HANLON

MELFORT, Sask. (CP) - Alberta Reform MP Jack Ramsay was about to have sex
with his alleged rape victim when he became disgusted with himself and
backed off, a court heard Tuesday. Jurors listened to an audio tape of
Ramsay's statement to police in July 1998 in which he describes what
happened one day 30 years ago.

Ramsay was charged with rape last year after a woman alleged he assaulted
her in the small aboriginal community of Pelican Narrows, Sask., in 1969
when she was 14 years old. He was a 32-year-old RCMP corporal at the time.

On the tape, Ramsay admits that he propositioned the girl at the local RCMP
detachment.

"I told her if she'd like to have sex with me, then to just undo her
slacks," Ramsay is heard to say.

"I went down the hall and when I came back her top button of her slacks was
undone, her zipper was undone and I could see her panties.

"I was sexually aroused and I approached her and I believe I touched her
waist.

"At that moment, the disgusting nature of what was happening caused me to
turn away and I went back behind the desk."

At no time was there any penetration, Ramsay insists, adding the incident
lasted less than 10 seconds.

As the tape played, Ramsay's wife, four children and other family members
listened intently from the gallery. Ramsay, 61, sat in the prisoner's dock
looking down.

On Monday, the woman testified that Ramsay had difficulty penetrating her.

The issue of penetration is pivotal to the case because there can be no rape
without it.

However, Ramsay could be found guilty of a lesser offence, such as indecent
assault.

The charge of rape doesn't exist in the Criminal Code anymore - it's now
covered in the charge of sexual assault - but it did in 1969 and can be
applied retroactively.

The alleged victim has said she came forward with the accusation nearly 30
years after the incident as part of a healing process in her life.

Psychologist John Yuille testified Tuesday it's not uncommon for people to
wait many years to report sexual assaults. That's especially true with
aboriginal people who don't trust the justice system, he said.

Earlier Tuesday, the woman was cross-examined by defence lawyer Morris
Bodnar, who pointed out inconsistencies in her account of the incident.

He noted, for example, that she first reported wearing underwear but now
says she wasn't.

"The reality of the situation is, I got raped," she replied. "And all the
little details . . . are minute."

Bodnar then had the woman acknowledge that she was once convicted of a
firearms offence and that she abused alcohol and drugs for many years.

The woman glanced at Ramsay occasionally during her testimony but he didn't
appear to make eye contact.

On Monday, court heard a taped phone conversation between Ramsay and the
woman in which he said he was sorry for what happened but insisted no sexual
intercourse took place.

Ramsay also faces charges of unlawful confinement against another woman
around the same time. Justice Ted Noble agreed to a defence motion to hear
that charge separately. No date has been set.

Ramsay served in the RCMP for 14 years. He resigned in 1971 and went on to
lead the now-defunct Western Canada Concept party in the 1980s.

He was first elected in 1993 to represent Alberta's Crowfoot riding in the
House of Commons.

Ramsay stepped down from his duties as Reform's justice and immigration
critic last September after the charges became public. He lives in Camrose,
Alta., south of Edmonton.