Posted by [EMAIL PROTECTED] :

From: Robert Dorman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> [...]
 >City meeting, about half were caucasion and the other
 >half Dineh (Navajo) and Hopi.
 > Mont Ogden of Ogden said "the fifth amendment gives
 >us the right to property, that can't be taken away
 >without due process of law."  It was also said during
 >the meeting that perhaps the "Cain and Able" story is
 >told backwards; that Cain was cursed with a white
 >skin. In looking back
 >at history, white society  destroys native peoples.
 >All agreed that in this modern nation the persecution
 >of minorities needs to stop.
 > The documentary video "Vanishing Prayer: Genocide of
 >the Dineh" was shown. It presented the position the
 >Dineh are in. Afterwards the group was silent, some
 >crying, until someone spoke up and said, "I'm ashamed
 >this is happening."
 > Then Ray Lopez, full blooded Dineh and retired
 >Brigham City educator, told the group of the many
 >hardships his people have had to endure. He said he
 >knows many there who live the traditional ways without
 >electricity or running water. These Elders have no
 >say, the Tribal
 >government and agents make decisions with out the
 >support of their people.  Ray also said the people
 >should be allowed to stay there. He believes the
 >conflict is all over money.  "It is pitiful and sad to
 >look at it" he said.
 >Winona Shupla, Hopi of Roy, spent last year with her
 >grandmother on the Hopi Reservation. She graduated
 >from the high school there and talked about many of
 >the challenges she faced in living the traditional
 >way. Her grandmother did not have running water.
 >Winona said there are problems between the Hopi and
 >Dineh but they are working to make relations better.
 >She said in school they talked about the Peabody Coal
 >Company, who they believe is trying to take away their
 >land.  Not only did the Hopi and Dineh that night talk
 >about the relocation. They also talked about the
 >challenges they feel are present by living in Northern
 >Utah. They all agreed they do not always feel accepted
 >here.  Shupla said she did not feel at home here so
 >she went to live with her
 >grandma on the Hopi reservation. However while there
 >the kids teased her because she was not like them,
 >they called her a "White Indian".  Lopez answered,
 >saying "we the Urban Indian, don't make any effort
 >among ourselves."  Ogden mentioned this must "cause
 >quite an identity problem
 >for the Urban Indian."  Brigham City resident Leon
 >Sorenson said it has been especially hard for him
 >being half white and half Indian, and that he didn't
 >quite know where he fit in.
 >Norma Shupla,  Winonas' mother, finished off the
 >meeting with a sobering thought.  "It don't matter who
 >they are, how they look. Get along because someday
 >you'll have to lean on each other."
 >The Leader (Tremonton, Utah) December 1, 1999

 >=====
 >"In the life of an Indian, there was only one inevitable duty - the duty
of prayer - the daily recognition of the Unseen and Eternal...Whenever, in
the course of the daily hunt the red hunter comes upon a scene that is
strikingly beautiful, or sublime...he pauses for an instant in the attitude
of worship. He sees no need for setting apart one day in seven as a holy
day, since to him all days are God's"
 >Ohiyesa (Dr. Charles Eastman), Sioux

For more information on this on-going human rights crisis in the United States, visit
my web page at http://www.theofficenet.com/~redorman/pagea~1.htm