Posted by [EMAIL PROTECTED] :

[NOTE: I have fielded a few inquiries as to why a Native publication such as this is
carrying news about the WTO..what does this have to do with Native News?  The answer
is sovereignty and the exploitation of tribal resources by transnational corporations
such as Peabody Coal, Exxon, Daishowa, Rio Amalgam, Gold Stake Mining, Monsanto and
the list goes on to read like Wall Street and the NASDAQ.

Occidental Petroleum was granted rights through the territory of the U'wa in the
Amazon Basin..with no recourse.  Pharmaceutical companies are being granted plant
patents for indigenous medicinal plants that place village medical practitioners in
the position of paying foreign corporations for their traditional plant usage.

A recent ruling (AUG 99) granted the Cheyenne River/Yankton Sioux tribe 400 acres of
unsullied land in the Black Hills and WATER RIGHTS TO THE STATE OF SD in exchange for
the land which had been contaminated by mining tailings from decades of Gold Stake
excavation.
WTO seeks to grant sovereign type immunity to transnational corporations, force
resource extraction on indigenous lands, place factories without accountability to any
local environmental standards in third world lands (including tribal in North America).

The Tuscarora learned their roads had been paved with radioactive materials, ShipRock
suffers from uranium tailing leaching into the water and recently a Texas company was
held accountable for selling insecticide as a toothbrush sanitizer to the Head Start
program on Rosebud.  Under WTO they would be held blameless...perhaps sales to other
third world countries have been with impunity and on Rosebud they just got caught.

We as First Nations have first hand experience with the exploitation of colonizers;
under WTO the rest of the world's peoples face the 21st century as the "Indians" of
the future.

Make no mistake...sovereignty IS the issue......Ish]