Test that ideology with proposed First Nation property rights legislation

Created on Wednesday, 08 August 2012 14:54
Last Updated on Thursday, 09 August 2012 13:11
Published Date
By Trevor Greyeyes
http://www.firstperspective.ca/news/1402-beyond-ideology-with-proposed-first-nation-property-rights-legislation

The sky isn't falling right now with the announcement that the Federal
government plans to open up private property ownership on First Nations right
now because it is only voluntary.

The real danger might be down the line if the government tries to impose the
legislation on all First Nations if it proves successful on those few
communities willing to give it a try.

I think there are a few First Nation communities out there that are ready,
willing and capable of managing lands and resources using the legislation as it
currently stands.

First Nation communities that could take advantage of approving property rights
are communities located close to a growing urban centre or possess resources on
land that are coveted by the settler society.

However, the vast majority of First Nation communities are in areas where
private property ownership would not have any effect.

Let's examine some of the comments made by Sen. Patrick Brazeau to the QMI
Agency that allowing private property in First Nation communities "will assist
individuals to get mortgages, bank loans and it may incite non-Aboriginal
businesses to invest on reserve therefore creating jobs."

I have heard the pro Property Rights argument ad nauseum for years and one of
the main points is always that people will be able to borrow against the value
of their land to create entrepreneurial opportunities.

What a crock?

I remember talking to David Asper about a possible partnership with an
Aboriginal publication I worked for when he still had an office on Portage
Avenue in the early 2000's and he mentioned property rights as a means for
First Nations to become self sufficient.

He mentioned that his experiences as a lawyer working in First Nation
communities had given him insight into the problems and possible solutions.

Well, I've been to many of those same communities as a journalist and I wanted
some answers too.

I proposed a study be conducted where a real estate agent, banker and
entrepreneurial consultant could be flown into a community like Garden Hill
Cree Nation, for instance.

The real estate agent could assess the property value of a home and the
adjacent land if that person were to receive the title.

The banker then could assess how much could be borrowed, the rate of interest
and length of time to pay back that loan.

Now, as someone who is currently an entrepreneur and has successfully completed
an entrepreneur program through the Business Development Bank of Canada I know
that there are consultants who will sit down with an individual to assess a
business idea or business plan.

Community members could be enticed, through of course a monetary reward, to
participate in the game or, excuse me, study.

After learning the relative value of property and the value of the loan, the
participant can then sit down with the business consultant to have their
business idea or plan assessed.

A study like the one I suggested to Asper has never been done, and his silence
spoke volumes, because the free market/ private property ideologues know that
there are basic flaws to the proposal including:
1) Land is not really that valuable a commodity in remote locations;
2) Loans are not that easy to come by and come with conditions;
and 3) Individuals in First Nations lack the experience in starting up and
running a successful business.

Further to that, most people in mainstream society lack the experience to
properly set up and manage a business never mind First Nations people kept in
isolated communities and little contact with small businesses.

For example, the Small Business Administration - Canada keeps the stats on
business failures and claims that more than half of new businesses will
disappear in the first five years.

With unemployment and poverty at such a higher rate than the mainstream's
corresponding rates, I predict that the failure rate of new business ventures
in First Nation communities would be even higher.

There has to be a clear discussion of the reasons why First Nations are not
self sufficient.

The truth is that First Nation communities were never meant to be self
sufficient communities and tinkering with their basic design will do nothing to
alleviate poverty and antecedent social conditions.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: