Musqueam protest marks 100 days
By Susan Lazaruk, Sunday Reporter
August 12, 2012
http://www.theprovince.com/news/Musqueam+protest+marks+days/7078395/story.html

Several hundred members and supporters of the Musqueam First Nation tie up
traffic Friday, as they protest a proposed develop ment on land they say is an
ancient burial ground.
Photograph by: Jason Payne, PNG, Sunday Reporter
About 300 Musqueam band members and supporters blocked traffic leading to a
major VancouverRichmond bridge for less than an hour Friday morning in an
ongoing dispute over an ancient burial site.

Southbound traffic on Granville Street was backed up for several blocks as the
protesters, some in ceremonial dress, gathered to drum and sing to draw
attention to the Musqueam's opposition to a condo building proposed by the
owners for a site near the north end of Arthur Laing Bridge.

Spokeswoman Rhiannon Bennett said the skeletal remains of two adults and two
infants and the partial remains of a third infant were uncovered when
construction began earlier this year on the site.

She said the Musqueam have continuously occupied the land for 4,000 years and
they want the land turned into a green space.

"Our goal is to ensure our ancestors are cared for in a dignified and
respectful way," said Bennett.

Friday marked the 100th day that members have been keeping vigil over the land,
even though the province has already given the band almost $5 million to buy
the land from the owners, the Hackett family.

Bennett said the band will continue to watch the land from a base underneath
the bridge because the province is repeatedly extending the developer's permits.

"If it's our intention to purchase the land back, why do the developers need
permits to work on the land?" she said. "We need to be here to protect the land
because the province won't." The developers have agreed not to work on the land
while negotiations continue about ownership.

B.C. Aboriginal Relations Minister Mary Polak said on Thursday a cash-for-land
deal to resolve the dispute is close. She wasn't available for comment on
Friday but on Thursday said the permits are being extended because the land is
privately owned.

The area, which is fenced and covers almost a city block, is called the Marpole
Midden and is considered sacred by the band.

There was a small bulldozer on the land as well as a tented area where the
remains and other native artifacts were found.

Many passing motorists tooted their horns in support once the protesters moved
from the road but one yelled out a profanity.

Several condos in the planned 108-unit development have already been pre-sold,
but about 20 buyers pulled out after learning of the burial site, according to
the developer.

slazaruk@ theprovince.com

twitter.com/ susanlazaruk

<*> Your email settings: