You're welcome :). About obtaining debugging info from terminal, I think you
should quit Nautilus first (nautilus -q) then launch it (nautilus
--no-desktop). However, I'm not sure whether nautilus will respawn or not
when you quit it. If it did respawn, I think you should edit
/usr/share/applications/
nautilus.desktop as follows (A backup of it would be a good idea):
* Replace "X-GNOME-AutoRestart=true" with "X-GNOME-AutoRestart=false"
* Comment this line out "X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=Desktop" by "#" at the
beginning of the line. Actually I forgot why I did this but this how my is
my configuration :).
* Add this line "AutostartCondition=GNOME
/apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop"
* Finally, I think you should restart your session, then try quitting and
launching again.

Credits go to wrc1944 from [1] for the respawning solution.

Hope this will help you and good luck ...

Bests,
Ahmad Sherif

[1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=69282

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Nils Andresen <andresen.n...@googlemail.com