On 06.12.12 13:13, Stephen Deasey wrote:
> I guess it depends on how the website is deployed: in a more modern
> set-up CSS is often compiled from SASS or LESS; javascript needs to be
> minified and combined, possibly compiled using Google's optmising
> compiler, maybe from coffee script; images are compressed, etc. Making
> gzip versions of static text/* files is just one more target in a
> Makefile.  Which is a little different than the old PHP/OpenACS
> perspective where everything happens at run-time.
Modern PHP/OpenACS installations use reverse proxies like
nginx for static content, where one has the option to
compress files on the fly or to deliver pre-compressed
binaries. When we switched our production site to gzip
delivery for the dynamic content, we did not notice any
difference in cpu-load. Sure, delivering static gziped
content is faster than zipping on the fly, but i would like
to keep the burden on the site master low.

Not sure, why we are discussing this now. My original
argument was that the api-structure for deliveries is overly
complicated (to put it mildly)  and not orthogonal (i failed
to understand it without drawing the call-graph). There is a
lot of room for improvement.

-gustaf neumann