Dear Sassy,

Why do you say that the output right next to text utf-8 is broken?

You simply do not need the extra [encoding convertfrom utf-8 ... ] in versions after 4.99.23 in text pages.The UTF-8 handling in earlier versions was broken.

The changes in 4.99.23 were triggered by requests of full emoji support (in UTF-8 multi-byte characters, up to 4 bytes). The changes effect  also the DB-Interface, such that now such multi-byte characters are fully supported in display and storing. Look e.g.: https://openacs.org/xowiki/text-with-hebrew

> One more thing to note is that the log file which also has UTF-8 characters is not translated. I see the escape characters instead of the data.

This is exactly the same answer as in you earlier question. There are several known attacks based on Unicode, which can as well be used to trick the person reading the log-file.

If you do not care about the log file sanitizing and you prefer the old behavior, turn sanitizing off.

all the best

-gn