Some Helpful Bible Study Tools
Lesson 5b

Psa 119:9-12 (KJV)
 BETH. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way?
by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
{10} With my whole heart have I sought thee:
O let me not wander from thy commandments.
{11} Thy word have I hid in mine heart,
that I might not sin against thee.
 {12} Blessed art thou, O LORD:
teach me thy statutes.

Dear Friends in Christ,
If I were ever limited to only 2 books to have on a desert island, they would be a King James Bible and a Strong's Exhaustive Concordance. I have been a big fan of The Strongs Concordance for over 35 years.

The book has been in existence for over 100 years, and is probbably the first example of a manually searchable database of Bible words and verses. There is even a Hebrew and Greek Dictionary in the back, with the English words keyed to the corresponding Hebrew or Greek words by a simple numbering system, thereby eliminating the need to know how to read the other language, and yet allowing one to get an understanding of the deeper meanings of the original word. This often helps to clarify misunderstandings in interpretation of a Bible verse.

The only way to improve on Strong's Exhaustive was to computerize it and add a search engine. An example of a Computerized Strongs Concordance, along with many other useful Bible Study tools, are all available at the following website  online and no need to download..

I suggest that you become familiar with using this classic Bible study tool to further your own education in God's Word....doing topic studies, word studies, character studies and doctrine studies. We are truly blessed in this age with the opportunity to use these tools for the furtherance of our growth in Christ and the furtherance of God's Kingdom. Let us not let them become an un-used blessing, especially when there is so much darkness in the world around us.

Jer 15:16 (KJV)
Thy words were found, and I did eat them;
and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart:
 for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

God Bless you in your study of the Word of God.
In Christ.................brother bob........<><

.

How To Use the Strong’s Concordance

http://www.theanswer.org/biblestudy/strongs.htm

A concordance is an index, or alphabetical listing, of words used in the Bible, with references to chapter and verse. Strongs is an exhaustive (or complete) index of all the words used in the King James Version of the Bible.  It lists every word in the Bible including every "a", "and", "the", "but" and similar words, and every verse where they are found. A concordance is a tool for the Bible student to study all the places in the Bible where a particular word is found, or more broadly, to study a Bible topic,  a Bible subject, person, idea or doctrine.

There are several reasons for using a concordance:

(1) TO LOCATE A VERSE OF SCRIPTURE

Often times you are trying to remember a Bible verse, or part of a Bible verse, but you just couldn't remember where it was in the Bible? This is the most common reason why people use a concordance.

HOW?  Find the verse by looking up in the concordance the most striking or exclusive word in that verse.  Try not to use "common" words. The more common the word, like ""the" or "God"  the longer the list in the concordance, and consequently the harder the verse is to find. For instance, in John 3:16 a more striking or exclusive word would be "only begotton" or "perish".

(2) TO FIND THE DEFINITION OF ORIGINAL GREEK AND HEBREW WORDS.

Let's consider, for example, the word "accusers" in 2 Timothy 3:3. This word is found in the main concordance and alongside is found the number 1228, which refers to the Greek dictionary in the back of the concordance.

Notice that the numbers for the Old Testament Hebrew words are "regular," while the numbers for the New Testament Greek words are in italics. In the case of number 1228 in the Greek dictionary, the order of information is as follows:

1. the Greek word

2. the "transliteration" of the Greek word, or how it is written in English letters

3. how to pronounce the word

4. the etymology of the word, or where the word came from

5. the definition of the word, in this case "a TRADUCER: specifically SATAN compare 7815 O.T."

6. the different ways the word is translated into English in the King James. The translations always appear after the (:). In our example. we learn that this same Greek word appears in the English New Testament as "false accuser," "devil," and "slanderer."

Now take your Concordance and work through the same steps with a word from the Old Testament:  You can start with the word "awe" in Psalm 4:4.

(3) TO DO WORD STUDIES, or to find all the places a particular Greek or Hebrew term is used in the Bible.

It's one thing to find all the places in the Bible where the English word "propitiation" is used. But what if this word is translated differently in different verses? The most accurate and precise way to study Bible ideas is to find all the places a particular Greek or Hebrew word is found. One way is to use a Greek or Hebrew concordance.

Or..... you can use your Strongs. Let me show you how.

Remember, all the different ways a word is translated are found at the end of each listing in the Hebrew and Greek dictionaries. So you have to work backwards by looking up the English translation words in the main concordance, and then you look for the number.

Let's use our example: 'propitiation' in 1 John 1:9.

First, note the number 2435. Then write down all of the verses where this number occurs. Where else does it occur?

ROMANS 3:25 and 1 JOHN 4:10.

Second. make a note of the different ways the word is translated. How else is it translated? Only one way:

MERCYSEAT.

Third. look back into the main concordance index:

"mercyseat.' This tells us that our search has ended. There is only one other place where this Greek word hilasteron is used: in Hebrews 9:5. So the term is found only four times in the New Testament.

(4) TO DO TOPICAL STUDIES, that is, the study of related words and ideas. When we organize everything the Bible has to say on a given subject we call it a DOCTRINE.   There are any number of TOPICS in the Scriptures.  To do a Topical Study simply take your Concordance and look up ALL the references where that particular word is used and write them down.  Then look up the verses and begin to study them.

John Bunyan, author of Pilgram's Progress once wrote: "I dare not presume to say I know I have it right in everything; but this I can say I have endeavored to do. I have not fished in other men's water. My Bible and concordance are my only library in my writing."

The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge

The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge is a comprehensive, user-friendly and versatile concordance of cross-references , providing the reader with an essential study tool for private devotions, teaching or preaching. It differse from the Strong's concordance in that it effectively lists cross references to the Bible phrase by phrase rather than word for word. This then is sort of a topical Bible where the topics are each important phrase of a Bible verse.

Complete with over 500,000 Scripture references and parallel passages, this reference work contains the most exhaustive listing of biblical cross references available anywhere. For over a century this unique volume has been an essential tool—for the beginner wishing to be more biblically literate and for the scholar seeking greater depth and breadth of understanding.

Comprehensive:
• Reveals how Scripture interprets itself on every verse, topic and important word—from biblical promises, doctrines and historical issues to prophecies and their fulfillment
• Supplies lists of verses that shed biblical light on the intent of each passage
• Dates at the top of each page furnish a chronological framework for biblical people, places and events

User-Friendly:
• Organized according to the order of the books of the Bible, making it easier to locate any reference
• With cross references located in one place, the Treasury is easier to use than Bibles with chain references

Nave's Topical Bible

Nave's Topical Bible, the best known of all topical bibles, has been a valuable Bible-study reference and a best-seller for more than 75 years. It is a comprehensive digest of over 20,000 topics and subtopics with more than 100,000 associated Scripture references. The most significant references for each topic actually include the full text of the verse cited—saving the need to separately look up each verse.

For the pastor or teacher interested in saving hours of time but not willing to give their second best, and for anyone wanting to be challenged by what God has to say about a given subject, Nave's Topical Bible is the passport that will allow immediate and successful entry to the many points of interest.

The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (4 Volumes Hardcover)

This practical, authoritative, and complete classic reference dictionary explains every significant word in the Bible and Apocrypha and gives detailed information on the language and literature of Bible lands, and the historical and religious environments of the people of the Bible in articles by nearly 200 scholars. This is the original four-volume edition, which includes illustrations, maps, cross-references, and indexes.

 IXTHEUS CHRISTIAN GROWTH DEVOTIONALS
ALWAYS FREE OF CHARGE
(but not necessarily  free of COST)
Feel free to redistribute these materials to whomever you want.
Please submit all questions, comments, suggestions,
or REQUESTS FOR SUBSCRIPTIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Request a free email copy of my evangelistic presentation:
"The God Who is Really There" from  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

View back-issues of Devotionals at this site:
Just click on "messages".

to unsubscribe  from  these devotionals,
send an email with CANCEL in the subject line to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
God Bless You
In Christ.....brother bob.......<>

For more information, please visit our home page http://www.nazerene.com

Lord jesus christ Testimony