Commit Your Way Unto the Lord

(Psa 37:3-9 KJV)
 Trust in the LORD, and do good;
so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
{4} Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
{5} Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
{6} And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.
 {7} Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him:
 fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way,
 because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.
{8} Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.
{9} For evildoers shall be cut off:
 but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.

The Hebrew word for "commit" means "to roll" , either literally or figuratively. This word is used in other places in the O.T.  on the occasion of rolling a large stone away from the mouth of a well. In the first usage of the word in the Bible (often the source of great insight into the meaning of a word), we have people rolling a stone off a well, and then later putting it back. Observe:

(Gen 29:3 KJV)
And thither were all the flocks gathered:
and they ROLLED  the stone from the well's mouth, and watered the sheep,
and PUT the stone again upon the well's mouth in his place.

As it is in the English translation, two different Hebrew words are used in this verse for actions done to the stone in this verse. First, the stone is "rolled" off the well so the sheep could be watered, but they didn't roll the stone back, they PUT it back...a different Hebrew word. This can be a clue to a deeper meaning.

In a second usage of this same Hebrew word, the people are again ROLLING the stone away from the well...SO THAT the water can be drawn out. It is specifically stated this way:

(Gen 29:8 KJV)
 And they said, We cannot, until all the flocks be gathered together,
and till they ROLL the stone from the well's mouth; THEN  we water the sheep.

This is a principle in understanding an unfamiliar word from another language, ie.. how is the word used in its proper context? So here. when we are trying to understand the concept of "commitment" from its useage in context, it may mean "to roll the stone off the well of God's blessings so that you may drink of those blessings."

We may look at the verse
 (Psa 37:5 KJV)
  Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

and see what the picture language of the Hebrew is telling us:

We know what "commit" implies, but what does "thy way" mean? This word means " a road as trodden or walked upon".
So here we a picture: we are walking a well-worn path of life, walked down by many others before us. But  God says to us, "roll your plans and dreams and lifestyle from your road onto MY road, then you will experience the blessings and fulfillment that I have waiting for you".

In fact, the second half of Ps 37:5 is this: "and He shall bring it to pass". This is kind of a mundane ending to this verse in English. But in Hebrew, the words "bring it to pass" are actually the same word but repeated twice. This has the effect of intensifying the word to an extraordinary degree, so it actually means, "He will accomplish in an extraordinary degree".

The middle phrase in this verse,  "trust also in Him," has in it the word "trust" which in Hebrew means, "to hide for refuge in a place that is secure". So this verse:

(Psa 37:5 KJV)
  Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

can be expanded from the Hebrew meanings into this little scenario:

"Change the direction of your life from the world's way to God's way, so you can drink deeply of His blessings. Hide for refuge in His presence, which is a secure place. And watch Him do extraordinary things for you".

God Bless you.
In Christ..brother bob...<><
Here are some more verses about "commitment" for you to meditate upon:

Psa 31:5 (KJV)
 Into thine hand I commit my spirit:
thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth.

Psa 9:9-10 (KJV)
The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed,
 a refuge in times of trouble.
{10} And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee:
for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.

Psa 5:11-12 (KJV)
 But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice:
let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them:
let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.
 {12} For thou, LORD, wilt bless the righteous;
with favour wilt thou compass him as with a shield.

2 Tim 1:12b (KJV)
...for I know whom I have believed,
and am persuaded that he is able
 to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

Psa 57:1-3 (KJV)
To the chief Musician, Altaschith,
Michtam of David, when he fled from Saul in the cave.
Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me:
for my soul trusteth in thee:
yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge,
until these calamities be overpast.
{2} I will cry unto God most high;
unto God that performeth all things for me.
{3} He shall send from heaven,
and save me from the reproach of him that would swallow me up. Selah.
God shall send forth his mercy and his truth.

1 Pet 4:19 (KJV)
Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God
 commit the keeping of their souls to Him in well doing,
as unto a faithful Creator.

IXTHEUS CHRISTIAN GROWTH DEVOTIONALS
ALWAYS FREE OF CHARGE
(but not necessarily  free of COST)
Feel free to redistribute these materials to whomever you want.
Please submit all questions, comments, suggestions,
or REQUESTS FOR SUBSCRIPTIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Request a free email copy of my evangelistic presentation:
"The God Who is Really There" from  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

View back-issues of Devotionals at this site:
Just click on "messages".

to unsubscribe  from  these devotionals,
send an email with CANCEL in the subject line to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
God Bless You
In Christ.....brother bob.......<><

For more information, please visit our home page http://www.nazerene.com

Lord jesus christ Testimony