The Many Dimensions of "Believing"

(Gen 15:5-7 KJV)
 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven,
and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them:
and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.
{6} And he believed[H=539] in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.
{7} And he said unto him, I am the LORD that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees,
to give thee this land to inherit it.

(Rom 4:3-5 KJV)
For what saith the scripture?
Abraham believed God,
and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
 {4} Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
 {5} But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly,
 his faith is counted for righteousness.

(Gal 3:6-9 KJV)
 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
{7} Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
 {8} And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith,
 preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.
 {9} So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.
-------------------------------------

Dear Friends in Christ,
The Bible is at the same time a very simple and understandable book, and yet one that has many hidden nuances of truth that can only be discovered by study and deliberating over what is presented. One example of this is the many dimensions of meaning of "believing" in God. According to the verses above, Abraham believed in God and God accounted to Abraham salvation ("righteousness") because of his belief. So if it is that important, what is "believing" all about, and what does it all really mean to believe in God?

The Hebrew word which is translated  "believe" in the Gen 15 passage, is "aman" ="to build up or support" . Notice that this word is similar to "amen" , which we say when we mean, "I agree, let it be so, this is a truthful saying, etc. Amen is also a Hebrew word which is derived from aman, and would be almost indistinguishable from it in Hebrew letters.

When we want to the meaning of a word in a foreign language, it is always helpful to find out how the word is used in other contexts in that language. For Biblical words, we use a concordance to look up that word in other passages, notice the context, and we may get some insight as to what God wants us to teach us about this term. For this reason, we will look at various occurances of "aman" in the Old Testament and examine the contexts in which they occur, and see what God has imbedded in these veses to teach us.

To "believe" in God means:
1) To accept that God appeared to Moses. (Exo 4:5)
2) To pay attention to the miraculous signs God has given (Exo 4:8-9)
3) To pay attention to the voice of God (ie. also the "word" of God) (Exo 4:8-9)
4) To let the doings of God affect you so that you will bow your head and worship Him. (Exo 4:31)
5) When you examine what God has done,  it allows you to fear the Lord and believe you. (Exo 14:31 to 15:1-3)
6) To hear the Lord when He speaks with you, and believe Him forever. (Exo 19:9)
7) To recieve the nurturing and loving kindness of the Lord (Num 11:12)
8) To be faithful in all dealings with God, (Num 12:7-8)
9) to behold the presence of the Lord (Num 12:7-8)
10) To believe God when He shows signs unto you (Num 14:11)
11) To sanctify God in the eyes of the children of God (Num 20:12)
12) To believe what the Lord God says (Deu 1:31-32)
13) To believe that The Lord He is The Trustworthy God (Deu 7:9-11)
14) To listen and obey the voice of the Lord (Deu 9:23)
15) To know that God''s presence and power is of long continuing duration (Deu 28:59)
16) To have assurance of your life  (Deu 28:66)
17) To accept the "mothering" love of the Lord for you (Ruth 4:16)
18) To do that which is in the heart of God (1 Sam 2:35)
19) To walk in the presence of Christ forever (1 Sam 2:35)
20) To be established as a prophet of th Lord (a forth-teller of God's will) (1 Sam 3:20-21)
21) To have your house(family) and your kingdom(dominion) established forever. (2 Sam 7:16)
22) To verify (to confirm, especially the truth if a prediction) the Word of God (1 Ki 8:26-27)
23) To experience the certainty of God's continuing presence and provision (1 Ki 11:38)
24) To bring up the children in the faith (2 Ki 10:5)
25) To do everything that the Lord commands of you. (2 Ki 10:5)
26) To NOT believe in God, means: (2 Ki 17:14-16)
     a) to not hear the voice of the Lord
     b) to harden your neck against obeying God
     c) to reject the commandments of the Lord
     d) to reject the covenant of the Lord
     e) reject the testimonies of the Lord against you
     f)  to follow things of the world and go astray from the Lord
     g) to follow the heathen and their pleasures
     h) to ignore the warnings and prohibitions of the Lord
     i) to leave off doing all the commandments of the Lord
     J) to make idols
     k) to make places for worshipping satan and his demons.

Note: This  study includes only the first 26 of the 104 verses in which this word is used in the Old Testament.  This is truly a rich topic, and an important one, judging by the amount of verses given to it in the Word of God.

God Bless you as you ponder these things.
In Christ..brother bob....<><

(Heb 11:5-6 KJV)
  By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death;
and was not found, because God had translated him:
 for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
 {6} But without faith it is impossible to please him:
for he that cometh to God must believe that he is,
and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

--------------------------------
Believe [H539]. aman, aw-man';  to build up or support; to foster as a parent or nurse; fig. to render (or be) firm or faithful, to trust or believe, to be permanent or quiet; morally . to be true or certain; once to go to the right hand:--
assurance, believe, bring up, establish, be faithful (of long continuance, stedfast, sure, surely, trusty, verified), nurse, (-ing father), (put), trust, turn to the right. {from Strong's Hebrew Dictionary)
(Bible verses referred to in the study above}

(Exo 4:5 KJV)
That they may believe that the LORD God of their fathers,
the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob,
hath appeared unto thee.

(Exo 4:8-9 KJV)
 And it shall come to pass, if they will not believe thee,
 neither hearken to the voice of the first sign,
 that they will believe the voice of the latter sign.
 {9} And it shall come to pass, if they will not believe also these two signs,
 neither hearken unto thy voice,
 that thou shalt take of the water of the river, and pour it upon the dry land:
and the water which thou takest out of the river shall become blood upon the dry land.

(Exo 4:31 KJV)
 And the people believed:
and when they heard that the LORD had visited the children of Israel,
and that he had looked upon their affliction,
then they bowed their heads and worshipped.

(Exo 14:31 to 15:1-3 KJV)
 And Israel saw that great work which the LORD did upon the Egyptians:
and the people feared the LORD,
and believed the LORD,
and his servant Moses.
{15:1} Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the LORD,
and spake, saying, I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously:
 the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.
{2} The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation:
he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation;
 my father's God, and I will exalt him.
 {3} The LORD is a man of war:
 the LORD is his name.

(Exo 19:9 KJV)
 And the LORD said unto Moses, Lo, I come unto thee in a thick cloud,
 that the people may hear when I speak with thee,
and believe thee for ever.
And Moses told the words of the people unto the LORD.

(Num 11:12 KJV)
 Have I conceived all this people? have I begotten them,
that thou shouldest say unto me, Carry them in thy bosom,
 as a nursing father beareth the sucking child,
 unto the land which thou swarest unto their fathers?

(Num 12:7-8 KJV)
 My servant Moses is not so, who is faithful in all mine house.
{8} With him will I speak mouth to mouth,
even apparently, and not in dark speeches;
and the similitude of the LORD shall he behold:
 wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?

(Num 14:11 KJV)
  And the LORD said unto Moses, How long will this people provoke me?
and how long will it be ere they believe me,
for all the signs which I have showed among them?

(Num 20:12 KJV)
And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron,
 Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel,
therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.

(Deu 1:31-32 KJV)
 And in the wilderness, where thou hast seen how that the LORD thy God bare thee,
 as a man doth bear his son, in all the way that ye went, until ye came into this place.
{32} Yet in this thing ye did not believe the LORD your God,

(Deu 7:9-11 KJV)
Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God,
 the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him
and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;
{10} And repayeth them that hate him to their face, to destroy them:
he will not be slack to him that hateth him, he will repay him to his face.
{11} Thou shalt therefore keep the commandments, and the statutes, and the judgments,
 which I command thee this day, to do them.

(Deu 9:23 KJV)
 Likewise when the LORD sent you from Kadeshbarnea, saying,
Go up and possess the land which I have given you;
then ye rebelled against the commandment of the LORD your God,
and ye believed him not, nor hearkened to his voice.

(Deu 28:59 KJV)
Then the LORD will make thy plagues wonderful,
and the plagues of thy seed, even great plagues, and of long continuance,
 and sore sicknesses, and of long continuance.

(Deu 28:66 KJV)
 And thy life shall hang in doubt before thee;
and thou shalt fear day and night,
 and shalt have none assurance of thy life:

(Ruth 4:16 KJV)
 And Naomi took the child, and laid it in her bosom,
 and became nurse unto it.

(1 Sam 2:35 KJV)
 And I will raise me up a faithful priest,
 that shall do according to that which is in mine heart and in my mind:
and I will build him a sure house;
and he shall walk before mine anointed for ever.

(1 Sam 3:20-21 KJV)
 And all Israel from Dan even to Beersheba knew
that Samuel was established to be a prophet of the LORD.
{21} And the LORD appeared again in Shiloh:
 for the LORD revealed himself to Samuel in Shiloh
by the word of the LORD.

(2 Sam 7:16 KJV)
 And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee:
thy throne shall be established for ever.

(1 Ki 8:26-27 KJV)
 And now, O God of Israel, let thy word, I pray thee, be verified,
 which thou spakest unto thy servant David my father.
 {27} But will God indeed dwell on the earth?
 behold, the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain thee;
 how much less this house that I have builded?

(1 Ki 11:38 KJV)
 And it shall be, if thou wilt hearken unto all that I command thee,
 and wilt walk in my ways,
 and do that is right in my sight,
to keep my statutes and my commandments, as David my servant did;
 that I will be with thee,
 and build thee a sure house,
as I built for David, and will give Israel unto thee.

(2 Ki 10:5 KJV)
And he that was over the house,
and he that was over the city, the elders also,
and the bringers up of the children, sent to Jehu, saying,
We are thy servants, and will do all that thou shalt bid us;
 we will not make any king: do thou that which is good in thine eyes.

(2 Ki 17:14-16 KJV)
Notwithstanding they would not hear, but hardened their necks,
like to the neck of their fathers,
that did not believe in the LORD their God.
{15} And they rejected his statutes, and his covenant that he made with their fathers,
and his testimonies which he testified against them;
and they followed vanity, and became vain,
and went after the heathen that were round about them,
concerning whom the LORD had charged them, that they should not do like them.
{16} And they left all the commandments of the LORD their God,
and made them molten images, even two calves,
and made a grove, and worshipped all the host of heaven, and served Baal.

IXTHEUS CHRISTIAN GROWTH DEVOTIONALS
ALWAYS FREE OF CHARGE
(but not necessarily  free of COST)
Feel free to redistribute these materials to whomever you want.
Please submit all questions, comments, suggestions,
or REQUESTS FOR SUBSCRIPTIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Request a free email copy of my evangelistic presentation:
"The God Who is Really There" from  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

View back-issues of Devotionals at this site:
Just click on "messages".

to unsubscribe  from  these devotionals,
send an email with CANCEL in the subject line to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
God Bless You
In Christ.....brother bob.......<><

For more information, please visit our home page http://www.nazerene.com

Lord jesus christ Testimony